Friday, March 25, 2011

Soft Vegan Ginger Cookies

I know, I know...vegan, right?  I'm not a vegetarian.  I have no plans to be a vegetarian or vegan.  But I do like to play around with veggie recipes from time to time.  I am especially intrigued by vegan baked goods.  I mean, I know that you can use apple sauce in place of fat ingredients like butter, but what about eggs?  Can a cookie or cake really taste good without eggs?
Easiest way to mince crystallized ginger?  Scissors.
In a word?  Yes.
Your eyes do not deceive...that is a CUP of ginger
This is a really neat recipe.  It has a nutty, sweet flavor with a hint of that ginger zing in the background.  But it's not a delicate cookie either; it's got substance...dare I say hearty?  Despite the density of it, I'd absolutely say this is a girly cookie.  My son loves them, however I'd be a bit surprised if Rob asked me to whip up a batch of these just to have around. 



Soft Vegan Ginger Cookies 
Recipe from Joy the Baker

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup minced candied ginger
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1.  In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and minced candied ginger.  Set aside.
Wow that's a lot of ginger
2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup sugar, ground flaxseed, applesauce, oil, and lemon zest and juice.  Add the wet ingredients, all at once, to the dry ingredients and carefully mix together with a wooden spoon.  Make sure all the flour bits are moistened and well incorporated.  Form dough into a disk shape and wrap well in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for an hour, or overnight.

3.  Place a rack in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat 350 degrees F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
 

4.  Remove the dough from the fridge and use your hands to roll dough into walnut sized balls.  Rolls balls in 1/4 cup granulated sugar and place of baking sheet.  Use the palm of your hand to slightly flatten the dough ball.  Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until just slightly browned but still slightly soft in the center.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing.

These cookies don't spread out as they bake so they will pretty much stay as they look when you "flatten" them.  If you like a crispier cookie, flatten a bit more than I've done.  As for when to make them?  This isn't a recipe that I'd turn to if I just looked at the clock and realized "Oh crap! The boys will be home in 20 minutes and the cookie jar is empty!"  I'd reserve for a special occasion (think bridal or baby shower, a special afternoon tea, or maybe a ladies' brunch).  Because it calls for so much, the crystallized ginger takes a while to get all chopped up. The flavor  is unique enough that I'd certainly make these again though.  The best part?  Because of all that ginger, you can feel free to eat as many as you like without the risk of a stomachache! ;)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment