Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cheddar-Broccoli Soup

Soup. Bread.  One of life's perfect combinations
Do you like soup?  I like soup.  Soup is just so comforting.  Plus, it's generally pretty easy to make, and make a LOT of.  Throw in some crusty bread for dunking and you have a little winter wonderland oasis in the making.

Panera's is well-known for their soups.  My favorite of theirs happens to be their creamy chicken & wild rice (YUMMMMMMMM!), however I hear their best soup seller is the cheddar-broccoli soup.  Do I have your attention now?  Yeah, I thought so.  I can't say that I have The Recipe for it as I think Panera's chefs probably have that under lock and key... but this tastes pretty durn close to it.  And like so many other soups, it's easy to make.  Does this recipe make a mega-ton?  Not in my opinion but doubling would be simple.  And though this is a creamy/cheesy soup, I love that it uses fresh broccoli.  That helps me feel not quite so guilty about the amount of butter and milk and cheese I'm tossing into the pot.

Cheddar-Broccoli Soup
Recipe from Food Network Magazine

6 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half (or if you're like me, just use the milk you have in the fridge)
3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 1 head)
1 large carrot, diced
2 1/2 cups (about 8 oz) grated cheddar cheese

UPDATE (10/12): Since Gavin loves broccoli but claims he hates all soups, and Kieran can't wield a spoon yet, I made broccoli cheese toasts for the boys.  Toast up a couple slabs of bread, then slather on a few tablespoons of soup.  Top with extra cheddar and put under the broiler until the cheese is melty, bubbly, golden-y goodness.  They inhaled them!!

1.  Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
The flour won't make much of a paste.  That's ok.
2.  Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes, then gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Add the chicken stock, bay leaves and nutmeg, then season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.

3.  Add the broccoli and carrot to the pot and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
Mmmmm, two of my favorite vegetables
4.  Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth; you'll still have flecks of carrot and broccoli...it's OK. Return the soup to the pot. (Or puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender; less dishes, way more fun.)

5.  Add the cheese to the soup a little at a time and whisk over medium heat until melted. Add up to 3/4 cup water if the soup is too thick. Ladle soup into regular bowls, or bread bowls if you really want to get all Panera-esque, and garnish with more cheese if you like.  I usually have a hard time finding the bread rounds for bowls so I just setup the breadmaker for a lovely, hot loaf of whole wheat or white bread.  Still tastes great!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment