Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sloppy Joe's

I have mixed feelings when it comes to prepackaged mixes.  I'm all for convenience; why reinvent the wheel, right?  But sometimes mixes just feel.....mmm, limiting.  Like, here's the mix for this and that's all you can make with it.  I kinda see sloppy joe mix like that.

I came across this recipe when I'd planned to make sloppy joe's for dinner and was positive I had that little red packet in my spice cabinet.  So while the meat is browning in the pan, I open up the cabinet and rifle through the packets.  Um....let's go through them again.  ......  Okaaay, let's check elsewhere in the spice cabinet, or maybe the pantry in case Rob may have put the mix somewhere that made complete sense to him but not to me. ...... CRAP!  I have almost cooked hamburger, hamburger buns, a drive and a desire to make sloppy joe's but no SJ mix.  Think faaaaaaaaaaast!!!
Flavorlicious!

Thinking fast lead me to this.  It also lead me to never buying sloppy joe packets again because we just happen to like this version so stinking much.  And bonus that I don't have to buy anything extra for this because these are all ingredients I keep on hand.  Always.


Sloppy Joe's 
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray

1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp steak seasoning (I like to use Quebec Beef Spice from the Spice House)
1 tbsp chili powder
3 tbsp dark brown sugar
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
Hamburger buns

1.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Brown beef and onions together until meat is no longer pink and onions are soft.

2.  While the beef and onions cook, in a medium bowl mix together the steak seasoning, chili powder, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato sauce.
Because of the chili powder, this sauce has a little kick to it

3.  Pour tomato sauce mixture into skillet.  Stir to combine.  Simmer uncovered until sauce has thickened, about 10-15 minutes.

4.  Spoon beef mixture onto hamburger buns and enjoy!

My boys like cheese on theirs.  I prefer mine plain and simple.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment