Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Chicken Azteca

I haven't been doing this whole blog thing very long but I already like you guys.  Does that make me weird?  Well, if it does I'm ok with that.  But what's not to like about a group of people who find food fascinating?!  And because I like you, I'll go ahead and share a slow cooker recipe that I think EVERY busy cook should have, especially the busy cook who likes to entertain a crowd of people on occasion.

This is one of those recipes in my life that had I known one little piece of information, I never would have made it.  My parents were visiting for the weekend and helping with some things around the house.  I really wanted a dinner recipe that would make a lot, preferably in a slow cooker since we were all busy with various chores and projects.  This one had caught my eye from one of my mom's cookbooks so I wanted to try it.  Little did I know that not only does my dad not care much for Mexican flavors, but he also doesn't like cream cheese very much.

Thank goodness for ignorance!  Not only did my dad eat and LIKE this recipe (wahoo!!) but it's become a huge favorite of mine and Rob's.
Dark beans meets sunny yellow corn.  Contrast is just so much fun!

Chicken Azteca
Recipe adapted from Fix It and Forget It for Entertaining

1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
2 cups frozen corn kernals
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp cumin
1 (16 oz) jar of salsa, divided
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (8oz) brick of cream cheese


1.  In a slow cooker, combine beans, corn, garlic, cumin and half of the salsa.
Doesn't this just scream FESTIVE?


2.  Lay the chicken breasts on top of the bean/corn mixture.  Pour on remaining salsa.
I love combining chicken and salsa together

3.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or on LOW for 4-6 hours.

4.  Remove the cooked chicken and shred.  Add shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and stir to combine with the bean/corn/salsa mixture.

5.  Cube the cream cheese and add to slow cooker; stir.  Cover and let sit at WARM or LOW setting just until the cream cheese has melted (about 30 minutes).  Stir to make sure everything is well combined.

I like to eat this comforting concoction on top of hot rice and smothered with cheddar cheese.  Rob likes to use it as a burrito filling.  We both enjoy it as a fun twist on nachos also.  The best part is normally we would fight over the leftovers, however it makes soooooooooooooo much that there is plenty to go around.
*Drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool*
Oh, and bonus preparation option?  Rob's taken this recipe camping too.  It comes together quite well in a Dutch oven and takes about 30 minutes to an hour to cook, depending on how hot the campfire is.  So for you crazy campers out there (God knows I am SO not one of you; sorry), give this a shot.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment