Wednesday, March 23, 2011

French Dip Sandwiches with Onion Spread

I subscribe to some foodie magazines (I know, big surprise there).  In a recent issue there was this glorious French Dip Sandwich recipe with an Onion Spread.  Every taste bud and saliva gland instantly came alive in my mouth when I saw this recipe.  I knew I had to make this sandwich.  For weeks I plotted when I could possibly have the time for such an endeavor.  Finally, the moment came.  I made the spread.  I made the sandwich.

And oh my goodness...  This is truly every carnivore's dream sandwich...

Onion Spread
Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine

3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
Kosher salt
6 medium shallots, thinly sliced
1 bunch scallions, chopped (white and greens parts separated)
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons white or red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
My secret weapon for creamy spreads, dips, and sauces.

1.  Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt; cover and cook, stirring, until golden, about 35 minutes. Add the shallots and scallion whites; cover and cook, stirring, until browned, about 25 more minutes. Stir in the scallion greens, then remove from the heat and let cool.
You can't rush caramelized onions.  Take the time to do it right.

2.  Chop the onion mixture and transfer to a bowl. Add the yogurt, sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
Creamy. Decadent. Delicious.

This. Dip. Is. AMAZING!!!  Spread it on the sandwich.  Use it as a chip dip.  It hasn't come to this quite yet but I have threatened to just get a spoon and eat it as is.  If you like onion dip, give this a try.  Yes, it does take some effort to make.  I promise you though, for a special occasion, or if you're watching your weight (thank you Greek yogurt!!), it is worth that effort.

I'd really encourage you to make the spread the night before and let those flavors get to know each other for a day before serving.

French Dip Sandwich
Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine

6 cloves garlic
Kosher salt
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Freshly ground black pepper
1 3-to-4-pound beef eye round roast
4 cups low-sodium beef broth, divided 
3/4 cup red wine
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 6-inch Italian rolls, split and lightly toasted

1.  Using a garlic press, smash the garlic into a bowl and add 1 tsp salt.  OR if you don't have a garlic press, mince the garlic, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with the flat side of a large knife. Transfer to a bowl.
I'd be lost without my garlic press.
2.  Add the olive oil, celery salt, cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cut small slits all over the beef with a knife, then use your fingers to push the garlic paste into the slits. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.  [Note: highly recommend overnight!  The longer it sits, the more the flavor soaks into the meat]
Kinda hard to show the slits on the meat.
3.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Bring the beef to room temperature (let it sit out 30-60 minutes). Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Add 1 cup broth, red wine, the carrot , and onion to the pan. Put roast on top of the carrots and onions (yup, you've made a makeshift, flavorlicious roasting rack).  Roast 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and roast until a thermometer inserted into the center of the beef registers 115 degrees F, about 45 more minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest 20 minutes. Strain the pan juices; reserve.
It's ok to drool.  I did.  A lot.
4.  While the meat rests, make the jus. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Whisk in the reserved pan juices and the remaining 3 cups broth and bring to a boil, whisking.  Brush the rolls with some of the onion spread. Thinly slice the beef against the grain. Dunk the slices in the jus, then layer on the rolls. Serve the remaining jus in small bowls for dipping.
Don't let the neatness here fool you.  It's messy to eat and worth every napkin!

To make life easier on myself, I did split this up and make the spread and garlic paste the night before.  Much as I love to cook, pregnant women tire quickly and I wasn't sure I'd be up to the whole shebang in one go.  As a result, we were salivating at the smells in the kitchen for pretty much two days before sitting down to this sumptuous feast.  First words out of my husband's mouth?  "You need to make this a lot."

And I think I will do just that. :)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment