Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Slow Cooker French Onion Soup

Every time I make a new dish, we tell Gavin the same thing.  We tell him that taste buds are always changing so he always needs to taste whatever it is that I've made.  Even when I make something he's hated in the past, he has to try it again.  Because taste buds really do change.

This dish is a perfect example of how taste buds can change.  I used to hate French Onion Soup.  Now, thanks to Rob, I love it.  And I particularly love this recipe, because it's classic, easy, and all goes into the slow cooker.


Can I get an amen?

Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Recipe slightly adapted from The New Creative Crock Pot Cookbook
Prep time: 20 minutes   Cook time: 8-10 hours

4 large onions, sliced
1 stick butter
1/2 cupish red wine, optional
6 cups beef stock
1 tsp salt
1 french baguette, sliced and toasted
Shredded mozzarella cheese

1.  In a large skillet, saute the onions in butter until caramelized.  Add the flour and mix thoroughly.  Deglaze the skillet with red wine, if using.
I set the heat low and took a fast shower while these caramelized.


2.  Pour onion mixture into the slow cooker.  Add the beef stock and salt.  Cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours (or on HIGH for 4-5 hours).
Let the slow cooker do the work!


3.  Ladle the soup into oven proof bowls and top with the bread and cheese.  Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted.
Mmmm, bread.
I love this soup.  I love it for it's richness, it's simplicity, it's comfort.  I love that I can make a giant pot of this for Rob and I and freeze half of it for another time.  I love that we can spontaneously invite friends over and have plenty for everyone.  And I especially love that my taste buds changed so that I could happily share this recipe with you.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment