Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Portillo's Italian Beef Sandwiches

This one was requested.  And I really do enjoy being about to fulfill requests, especially when they're as tasty as this!
I added sauteed mushrooms and onions to mine because I like them.


Portillo's Italian Beef Sandwiches
Recipe slightly adapted from Food.com
Prep time: 10 minutes   Cook time: 10-12 hours

3 cups water
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 bay leaf
1 (2/3oz) packet Zesty Italian salad dressing mix
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
5lb rump roast [NOTE: If you can't find rump, bottom round or even chuck could work]
Italian rolls
Provolone cheese, optional

1. Combine the water and seasonings in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Bring just to a boil before removing from heat and cooling.
Can't go wrong with all these herbs and spices


2. Place roast in a slow cooker and poor seasoning mixture over it. Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours, or HIGH for 4-5 hours.
Always, always, ALWAYS have you meat fat-side UP when cooking.


3. Remove bay leaf and shred the meat with a fork. Return shredded meat to the slow cooker with all that glorious au jus.
The forks are almost unnecessary; this was falling apart!


4. Serve on Italian rolls with provolone cheese.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............


Portillo's in a Chicago-based restaurant that is known for their beef sandwiches. I'd had them once or twice a few years ago and I can totally see why Rob practically demanded I make these. Normally I'm not a huge fan of using liquid with roasts in my slow cooker (because the meat will generate it's own liquid while cooking), but this was a fantastic exception! The jus is so rich and flavorful, and so stinking easy!! Really, the only hard part was making sure I got up in time to get the slow cooker going so it'd be cooked in time for dinner.

Oh, and the best part is that with 5lbs of meat, you know I stashed away a container of this into my freezer for later. Hurray for Get Ahead options!!!

p.s. Have you voted for my Birthday Treat yet?  Tomorrow is the last day!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment