Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Glazed Salmon with Spiced Carrots

So if I were to say the word "spicy," what would be the first thing that comes to mind?  Hot? Habenero?  Fire extinguisher?  Hmmm, interesting.  Believe it or not, "spicy" does not always have to result in flames racing across your tongue, incinerating every taste bud in it's path.  I mean, I like a good kick in the mouth as much as the next person but it's nice to shake it up a little too.  Spicy just means that something has lots of spices in it: hot, mellow, sweet, or savory.
Glazes are such fun!
I love to play with spices.  You hear a lot that "fat is flavor," which don't get me wrong because it is, however some of us just don't like or can't tolerate a gallon of oil or bacon fat in our food.  So how do I get to enjoy tasty food without frying something in 10 lbs of butter?  Yup, spices.  

I tried three new recipes in one meal, which is rare for me.  Normally if I'm trying a new recipe I stick with tried and true compliments to make sure there is something in the meal that I'm guaranteed to like.  However I came across this salmon recipe, which included the carrots as part of it, and I was stumped as to what to make with it.  Potatoes would be too heavy.  Rice?  Wild rice would be great with salmon however I know there is not a chance that my 3-year-old would eat wild rice.  And, I'm sorry, plain rice just didn't see worthy enough to serve with this.  So I did some quick digging and came across a Spiced Rice recipe.  Again, not spiced as in "holy God get me some water NOW".  But spiced as in a deeper, almost more mysterious flavor.  All together, this meal worked.  Plus it easily comes together in under a half hour (bonus!!).  

Glazed Salmon with Spiced Carrots
Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine

1 lb carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on a bias (fancy word for saying you need to angle your knife as you cut)
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
4 salmon filets (I just used one big piece of fish that was scored into 4 pieces)
2 tbsp honey or agave nectar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp lime juice, divided
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cumin  (LOVE CUMIN!!!!)
Dash of cinnamon

1. Preheat broiler.  In a medium bowl, toss sliced carrots with 1 tbsp olive oil.  Spread slices on 1/2 of a broiler pan and broil 2-3 minutes until they just start to soften.

2.  In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp olive oil, dijon mustard, honey, and 1 tbsp lime juice.  Brush glaze on the tops and sides of the salmon filets.  Season with salt and pepper.  Lay filets on the other side of broiler pan.  Broil for 5-7 minutes or until salmon is cooked through and carrots have softened.
Two dishes, one pan, less cleanup.  Wahoo!!
3.  Let salmon rest a couple minutes while finishing the carrots.  In a medium bowl, combine last tbsp olive oil and lime juice with the coriander, cumin, and cinnamon.  Toss in carrot slices to coat.  
Next time I may add some chopped fresh parsley for some color

I served these two lovely dishes with Simple Spiced Rice.

1 tbsp butter
1 cup uncooked rice
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 whole cinnamon sticks
1 small bay leaf 

1.  Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook and stir in the rice and onion until the rice kernels are coated with butter and the onion is translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. The rice will give off a slightly toasted fragrance. Pour in water, and mix in salt, cinnamon stick (break it in half if it won't fit) and bay leaf. 
Toasty!
2.  Bring the mixture to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the saucepan, and simmer the rice until all the water has disappeared and the rice appears dry, about 18 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve. 
I love the opportunity to use cinnamon sticks in my cooking
The end result of this meal?  Lovely, lovely spiciness.  The kind that warms you through and makes you happy (which, incidentally, is probably mainly from the cinnamon that's running through this entire meal).  I'd encourage you to play around with your spices. Spicy doesn't have to be chili powder and red pepper flakes.  Cinnamon, cumin, cardamom, allspice,... these are lovely ways to wake up those taste buds and warm the soul too. ;)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment