Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Favorite Chili

There are some recipes that every household has their own favorite version of.  To me, chili is one of them.  My mom makes a great chili, and I've attempted my mother-in-law's recipe several times (hers always turns out better than mine though).  So I've blundered along, keeping an eye out for what I'd hoped would become Our Family Chili recipe.
I cannot eat chili with a spoon; I use tortilla chips instead
My various experiments over the years have helped me figure out things I liked and didn't like.
  • I really love recipes that use beer.  Wine is great too in chili but I think beer adds this fabulous tang in the background to balance that spice.  
  • Another thing I was looking for in That Family Recipe was beans.  I have to have beans in chili.  Not only do I love the taste with beans (sorry to any Texas readers), but it's also a great way to stretch the dollar.  
  • Because both Rob and I grew up with red chili, we knew we didn't much care for white chili (nothing wrong with white chili though!).  
  • Finally, Rob doesn't like the texture (or taste really) of bell peppers.  So whatever recipe I'd find I would need to find a heat source other than using an actual pepper.

Boy do I sound picky or what?
 I could never live in Texas...I love beans in my chili!
A few months ago my cousin was bragging online about making a big pot of his favorite chili.  Me being me of course I begged for the recipe.  His exact version wasn't something that I thought my little family would go for, however I saw through some of the various ingredients to what I believed was the heart of the recipe; and that heart had everything I was looking for.  Yippee!!!  I eagerly gave it a try, adapting it as I went with what I had on-hand in my fridge and pantry at the time.  The result was this extra spicy, deep rich flavor that was just amazing!  We have a winner!!!

One of the things I love about chili recipes is how you can keep changing them, while still keeping that core flavor intact.  After writing down my version of my cousin's recipe, I realized the other night when I made it that I'd have to make some other adjustments, again based on what ingredients I had available.  So rather than give you 2 different recipes and make this confusing, I'll give you my first adaptation, and make notes next to the ingredients I changed for my second version.

Josh's Chili
Recipe adapted from my cousin's favorite recipe

2 tsp oil
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb lean ground beef, OR 1 container of cremini mushrooms, ground
3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed [2nd version: I used leftover French Dip beef]
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies [2nd version: I used plain diced tomatoes]
2 cups dark beer
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1 can beef broth [2nd version: I used leftover jus from the French Dip]
1-2 tsp sugar [2nd version: I used brown sugar]
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp salt
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans [2nd version: I didn't have kidney so I used black beans instead; I think it'd be fun to use 1 can of each for future variations]

1.  Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. 
What chili doesn't have onions in it?

2.  Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.  If you are using a leftover meat that is already fully cooked, add that just as the beef is cooked and onions are translucent. 
 I love the smell of beef and onion cooking together

3.  Add tomatoes, beer, tomato paste and beef broth.  Add spices. Stir in kidney beans. 

BEER!

4.  Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. 

If you aren't a fan of excessive heat, I'd suggest using plain diced tomatoes instead of the ones with green chilies.  Cayenne pepper packs quite a punch and one teaspoon in this big pot of goodness goes the distance.  The first time I made this I used ground mushrooms instead of ground beef, and leftover grilled steak instead of the sirloin.  Using leftover grilled anything adds an extra smokiness that is quite simply AMAZING!  The French Dip meat was just as fabulous.  
Behold the power of Leftovers!
You're probably wondering about the cocoa powder though.  Try it.  No, I'm serious...give it a shot.  Chocolate and chilies have this incredible understanding of one another that I'm not sure many people have realized.  Have you ever tried a piece of chocolate that's been spiked with chili powder?  This is the same idea but in reverse....a chili that's been spiked with cocoa.  The result is this additional depth and warmth that truly can only be experienced.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment