Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lemon Spaghetti

Just when I think the busiest part of summer is behind me, a new week starts.  And with that new week usually comes a fresh batch of activities, events, visits from friends, more visits to family, festival season... and the list goes on.  Oy!

Honestly, I think it's harder to keep a family well-fed during these busy summer months than the fall and winter.  We are so busy with soaking in every ounce of the good weather while we can, that food can often take a back seat.  And normally Wisconsin doesn't get too insanely hot.  Not this year though.  It. Is. HOT.

Ugh.

Anyway, when it gets this hot, the LAST thing I want to do is heat up my kitchen with my oven, or even using the stove top for too long.  Rob isn't too thrilled about firing up the grill either.  What's a Family Cook to do in this kind of situation?

Make this, that's what.

Lemon Spaghetti
Recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3-2/3 cup grated Parmesan [NOTE: Use more Parmesan if you're not using another cheese in this]
1/2 cup lemon juice
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil OR 1 tsp dried basil
1 wedge of Laughing Cow Garlic-Herb cheese, optional
1 tbsp lemon zest

1.  In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, Parmesan, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  If you are using dried basil, add it now.  Set aside to let the flavors combine while you cook the pasta; you can also make this up to 8 hours ahead of time. 
Yes, you really should make this while sipping some wine.  ;)


2.  Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions.  Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

3.  Toss the pasta with the lemon sauce, along with the wedge of cheese, and the reserved cooking liquid, adding 1/4 cup at a time as needed to moisten. Garnish with lemon zest and chopped fresh basil, if using instead of dried.
Keep tossing the hot pasta around until it soaks up all that sauce.  Add hot pasta water if it gets too dry.


I loooooove this dish, and for so many reasons!  Oh where to begin...

  • Gotta love a No-Cook sauce!  The only cooking involved is the mere minutes it takes to boil water and cook pasta; about 10-15 minutes total.
  • Making the sauce in the same dish I'm serving the pasta in just makes me do a little "Less Dishes to Wash Happy Dance."
  • I have an obsession with intense lemon flavors.  I find that tart flavor immensely refreshing and satisfying.
  • As much as I adore fresh basil, there's no shame in using a good quality dried basil.  Using dried herbs means I could also make this any time of the year I want to.  
  • Who says I have to use basil?  Thyme, rosemary, oregano...fresh or dried, whatever floats my boat that day!
  • This is tasty hot or room temperature.  
  • Oh the leftover options!!  Add whatever protein sounds good (roasted shrimp, grilled chicken, flaked tuna), maybe toss in a few veggies (carrots, red pepper, broccoli) and voila! A one-dish lunch or dinner!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment