Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tator Tot Casserole

I think it's pretty safe to say that most kids grew up with some variation of this casserole on their dinner table.  Well, I didn't but that's beside the point.  Anyway, whether you like yours with veggies mixed in or topped with cheese, this is just a good, comforting, simple casserole.

 I like simple.

Tator Tot Casserole
Recipe from my mother-in-law

1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
16 oz frozen tator tots

UPDATE (10/12): Kieran isn't big so far on eating vegetables, so I ground up one container of cremini mushrooms and added that to the browning meat and onions.  I also added 1/4 cup pureed broccoli in with the cream soup.  OMG the flavor combination was AMAZING!! And yes, Kieran inhaled this. :)

1.  Preheat oven to 375.  Heat a medium-ish skillet over medium-high heat.

2.  Crumble and brown the ground beef in the skillet.  Add the onions and cook until the onions are translucent.  Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Love, love, love the scent of meat and onions cooking together.


3.  Turn off the heat and stir in the cream of mushroom soup.  Pour mixture into a casserole dish and smooth to an even layer.  Top with frozen tator tots.
Even simple casseroles can be made in pretty dishes!


4.  Bake 40-45 minutes until the casserole is bubbling and the tots (hehehehe!) are golden.
Try to cover as much of the beef mixture as possible with tator tots.


Meat.  Potatoes.  Doesn't really get any simpler than that does it?

I've seen recipe variations where you stir in some frozen or canned vegetables with the meat and cream soup.  I've also seen the ones where you top the potatoes with cheese.  Personally, I like this version, and I'm not just saying that because my mother-in-law gave me the recipe.  I like that it's basic meat-and-potatoes and I can do whatever side dish veggie I want with it, depending on my mood.  I also like that crispy crunch that tator tots get when baked, so I stay away from a cheese topping.

Another thing, this recipe is SO simple, that you can play it up any way you like.  If you want the veggies, stir in a cup or so!  Like cheese?  Sprinkle some on top OR stir cubes of cheese in with the beef mixture.  And if you really want to go crazy, make your own cream of mushroom soup instead of using the canned kind.  Feel free to use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef, if that's your thing.  Whatever YOU like!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment