Thursday, March 15, 2012

Parmesan Potatoes

Mashed?  Meh.

Boiled?  No thanks.

Roasted?  Not in the mood.

Baked?  Yawn.

I like think that's pretty much what was going on in my mom's mind when she tried out this recipe.  Just goes to show you to never underestimate the power of boredom, my friends.  Boredom, when carefully channeled, can yield AMAZING results. 

And if it's not carefully channeled you get Toy Box Explosion that is my boys' bedroom.
Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.


Parmesan Potatoes
Recipe from my mom, whom I think got it from my aunt

1/2 stick butter
4 potatoes, peeled
1 egg
Splash of milk
3/4 cup Panko
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1 1/4 tsp Emeril's seasoning (or similar seasoning blend of choice)

1.  Preheat oven to 350.  While oven heats up, put the butter on a large baking sheet and stick it in the oven to melt.
That little half stick will coat the whole pan


2.  While the butter melts and baking sheet heats up, thinly slice the potatoes.  You want them about a 1/4" thickness.
Yeah, about that thick.  No need to be precise.


3.  Whisk the egg and milk in a shallow dish.  In another, combine the Panko, Parmesan, and seasoning.  Dip the potato slices in the egg mixture, then coat in the breadcrumb mixture.  Place in a single layer on the butter coated baking sheet.
Like my fancy schmancy new breading trays??

4.  Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden.

Single layer.  Everyone shares a little butter bath.
I really can't decide how best to describe these delectable little beauties.  On the outside, they're like a potato chip: crisp from the butter and breadcrumbs, with a nutty saltiness from the Parmesan.  However they're waaaay thicker than a chip, which means the inside is still soft and velvety.  You think regular ol' chips are addicting??  I dare you to stop at just one of these.

You can serve these alongside whatever main dish you'd normally do potatoes with.  Since it is a slightly more involved side dish than I normally prepare, I like to make these on Grill Nights, when the main dish is left in Rob's care.  Makes it just a bit easier for me!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment