Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Garden Chicken Risotto

Who here needs that perfect One Pot Wonder recipe?

I know I do!!

Garden Chicken Risotto
Recipe from my mother-in-law

TIP: Prepare all the ingredients BEFORE starting the recipe.  Once you get started, this recipe comes together very quickly.  And it's really hard to chop and measure with one hand while stirring with the other.

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (10.5oz each) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
1 3/4 cups uncooked orzo pasta
1 can (15oz) whole kernel corn, undrained
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1.  Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1" pieces.  
Great way to stretch two chicken breasts to feed probably 6-8 people!


2.  In a large nonstick skillet heat oil on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 2 minutes.  Add broth, broccoli and pasta. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 6 minutes, stirring frequently.  
I like to toast the orzo a couple minutes before adding the broth and broccoli.


3.  Add chicken; cook for 6 minutes. Mix in corn, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.  
Whenever possible, I prefer to use fresh broccoli.

4.  Remove pan from heat. Stir in cheese.
   
"Behold the power of cheese"

Ok, ok.  I know what you're thinking.  "But Jeanna, how could this be called risotto if it uses pasta instead of rice??"   Truthfully, I have no idea and quite frankly, I don't really care.  I LOVE risotto and this dish does pull off a very similar consistency to risotto.  It's creamy.  It's cheesy.  It's got that great crunch from the broccoli and corn.  It's comforting.  And at the end of a long day, when I just want a filling, healthy dinner on the table in under 20 minutes, the recipe can call itself whatever it wants and I'd still inhale it.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment