Monday, February 14, 2011

The Way to a Man's Heart...

The other day I asked my husband what he would like for Valentine's Day.  Like most men I know, he's really hard to shop for.  I mean really.  So I thought I'd just ask him what he'd like to get.  And what does my wonderful hubby tell me?  Nothing.  No, literally I mean he doesn't want anything.  Well now how fair is that??  I cannot, in good wife conscience, allow him to let me not get him anything!  That's just wrong.


I may not have clue as to what to buy for him, but I can cook him a really good dinner.  In the past, I've tried to make fancy, oo-la-la seafood-type Valentine's Day dinners.  They usually turned out ok.  However I married a truly Committed Carnivore.  This time, I want to make something that would really go to my man's heart.

Marinated Flank Steak with Blue Cheese Sauce
Recipe adapted from So Easy

3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 lbs flank steak
Cooking spray
1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch think rounds
Salt and pepper
3 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
3 tbsp lowfat buttermilk
Dash of Worcestershire sauce

1. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp of the olive oil, the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and garlic.  Put the steak into a resealable plastic bag with the marinade and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.  Allow the meat to come to room temperature before cooking.  Pat meat dry before cooking.

2.  Preheat broiler.  Brush both sides of the onion slices with the remaining tbsp of oil and season with salt and pepper.  Broil until they are softened, about 6 minutes per side.  Separate into rings and set aside.


3. Remove the meat from the marinade and season both sides with salt and pepper.  Discard the marinade.  Broil for about 5 minutes per side for medium rare.  Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing thinly on the bias.


4. In a small, combine the blue cheese and buttermilk with a fork, mashing until creamy.  Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.


5. Serve steak with the onions and drizzle with blue cheese sauce.

When I first read this recipe, I thought for sure it was a weekend-only kind of recipe.  Then I read it more closely and saw it was totally doable for after work.  The marinade takes literally two minutes to assemble and pour over the steak.  The meat takes 10 minutes to cook, with another 10 to rest.  Throw in a bagged salad and some crispy rolls?  Weeknight Valentine's Day dinner in under 30 minutes!

So now I have a happy hubby with a happy tummy, and that makes this wife very, very happy indeed. :)
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, this looks amazing! I've never considered broiling a steak.

    Why do you have to let the steak get up to room temp before cooking? Is that to keep the outside from overcooking while getting it up to temp?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another question: Where is the rack in the oven when you're broiling? Everything I've broiled on the middle rack seems to be burnt to hell in under a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! :) You let the steak come to room temp so it cooks more evenly. Otherwise the outside is done when the inside has barely warmed up. I tend to keep the rack in the middle...I'm too paranoid about burning the food. If your food burns even in the middle, try moving the rack down. Sounds like your broiler is on hyper drive! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truthfully, I haven't broiled anything except bread and sometimes cheesy dishes. An absolutely amazing and easy breakfast is Hawaiian King rolls (they're nice and sweet) cut in half with cinnamon butter on them. Broil them for literally like 5 seconds and the cinnamon butter melts and actually crystallizes a bit. SO yummy and you can make like 20 of them in under 2 minutes.

    I think I'm going to try broiling a steak this weekend!

    ReplyDelete