Monday, February 21, 2011

Get Ahead: Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce

First, let's clarify something... all my life I have hated mushrooms.  Then a few years ago I began to somewhat tolerate mushrooms as long as they were small and in a sauce of some kind.  Then probably last summer I just decided to admit the inevitable: I kinda, sorta like mushrooms now.  The texture can still be a little goofy at times, but I'm enjoying playing around with them as much as my anti-mushroom husband will allow.

All this being said, I also want to make clear that I've been making this particular spaghetti sauce for years.  Yes, you're following me correctly.  I've been making a mushroom spaghetti sauce for mushroom-haters for quite some time.  I hope at this point any mushroom-haters reading this will at least be intrigued enough to check out the recipe.  Seriously, it's good and I PROMISE you will not be able to tell there's mushrooms in it.

Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce
Recipe adapted from my Mom

1 lb lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 container cremini mushrooms
14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
16 oz tomato sauce
12 oz tomato paste
1 cup red wine
1 cup water
1 bay leaf
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp pepper

1. In a Dutch oven, brown beef and onions until beef is no longer pink.  Drain grease.


2. While beef mixture is cooking, use a damp cloth to gently wipe off any dirt on the mushrooms [Note: do NOT run mushrooms under running water!  Mushrooms are little flavor sponges; rinsing them under water means they will soak up the flavor of...well, water].  Break mushrooms apart a little and toss into food processor.  Process until they almost have a paste consistency and look similar to ground beef.  Add to Dutch oven and let cook until the mushroom water begins to evaporate.
 Can you see any mushrooms in this?

3.  Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.

4.  Remove bay leave and serve over hot cooked spaghetti.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.

The reason I think is of this as a "get ahead" recipe is that I typically make this on a weekend, sometimes doubling the recipe, and freeze it in 3-4 cup portions for weeknight dinners.  I absolutely love this sauce but who has an hour and half at the end of a long day to make good, old-fashioned spaghetti sauce?  Not me!  So I like to take advantage to poor weather, nap times, or just the desire to make something super homey.  Try it out....I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment