Thursday, December 1, 2011

Contingency Plan

Some habits are tough to break.  Like stocking up the freezer with Make Later meals.  I mean, I'm at home now so the theory is that I have "more time" (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!) to cook.  So why the heck am I still doubling soup recipes, dividing casseroles in half, and sticking pre-cooked meats in the freezer to use later on?

Contingency plan, my friends.  Plan for the unexpected.

If anyone flat-out told me that staying home full-time with my kids would be harder, and WAY more exhausting than working outside the home, I did not listen.  Please accept this humble mommy's apologies!!  Exhausted Days call for soup.  I like soup a lot.  Thai Chicken soup and Creamy Roasted Tomato soup are oh-so-nice to eat on Exhausted Days.

There are Frantic Days too.  Do you have Frantic Days in your life?  I haven't really hit those quite yet, but I plan to next year.  That's when Gavin will start school, plus I want to enroll him in a few energy-sucking extracurriculors like soccer or gymnastics.  What does a busy family eat on a Frantic Day?  How about Chicken Parm Casserole, Hearty Burritos, quesadillas, or spaghetti.

Or how about days like today?  Today is a Sick Day.  My littlest guy is fighting off a barrage of yuck, which medicines are thankfully starting to work.  And this morning I went to get my oldest up and stepped in a puddle of...well, this is a food blog so we won't really go there but you get the picture.  There's sickness in my house.  So Gavin's on a bland diet today, and Kieran only eats baby food right now but Mama and Daddy still have to eat.  All I have to say is THANK GOD for the pan of Chicken Enchiladas I found in my freezer.

Today I have officially learned this valuable lesson.  Keeping cooking ahead, keep freezing, keep planning for the unavoidable.  The inevitable.  Because that day will come when finding something as simple as a meal ready-to-go in your freezer will cause you to cry tears of joy. 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Jeanna, I LOVE reading your posts. I admit that I don't spend much (at the moment, any!) time in the kitchen, but your recipes are enticing and your stories make me feel all warm and fuzzy (yes, even when they are about stepping in your son's... well... puddle.) Love you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete