Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas

As much as I loveloveloveloveLOVE to try new recipes, some days I just need something that goes way back.  Something familiar.

Like my mom's chicken enchiladas.  Yummy!

Chicken Enchiladas
Recipe from my mom

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (8oz) container sour cream
3 tbsp margarine or butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 can chopped green chilies
8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
1 (8oz) package shredded cheddar cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 350.
The filling will be as spicy or as mild as the chilies you mix in with it.


2.  Mix soup and sour cream in a small bowl.  In a medium saucepan, heat margarine or butter.  Cook onion in the butter until tender; turn off the heat and add chicken and chilies.  Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and a 1/2 cup of the soup mixture.
I like to put the scoop in the middle and smush it out as I roll it up.

3.  Spread half of the remaining soup mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart shallow baking dish.  Spread 1/4 cup chicken mixture along one side of each tortilla.  Roll and place seam side down in the baking dish.  Spread remaining soup mixture over the enchiladas.  Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Creamy.  Cheesy.

I love this dish for more than just it's comfort food values.  I love that whenever I make this I can use it as a Get Ahead opportunity.  I typically make up two 8x8 pans of this (instead of one 9x13) and stick one in the freezer.  And as my family's appetites increases I could easily double this without adding any extra cooking time.  Excellent!!

As you can see from the picture above, I like to make this with plain rice and either salad or corn.  This is also good with some refried beans and Spanish rice, but make whatever sides YOU like. 
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. These are stinking awesome, I cooked my chicken with some garlic, cuman, and pepper and I also put that in the soup and sour cream mixture and used taco cheese(it was what I had) and they turned out amazing! Thanks for sharing:)
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete