Friday, November 11, 2011

Bagels

The first time I made bagels, I remember lots of steam, sweating in a hot kitchen, and itty-bitty honeyed hockey pucks that molded after about three days.  Yeah, NOT my most glamorous baking moment.  It's anyone's guess, really, as to why I've been so wanting to try making bagels again.

But I reallyreallyreallyreally wanted to.

In my bread machine cookbook, there's this recipe for bagels that has been staring at me, taunting me, for years.  But I couldn't make them.  No...not after my disastrous failure!  But.  But.

But.

I kept looking at it.  I kept reading it over.  Sure it was a little involved but each step seemed manageable.  That's right Jeanna, just focus on the steps.  Don't freak out over the whole recipe.  One step at a time.  I know I'm a dork but sometimes I really have to break down a recipe into each step and ask myself if I can handle that one step.  If you are easily overwhelmed by recipes I definitely recommend giving it a try.  Don't look at the overall cook time.  Don't look at the number of steps, just look at each step individually and ask "Can I do that?"

Anyway, where was I?  Oh right!  The best part...


Bagels
Recipe slightly adapted from Better Home & Garden's Bread Machine Baking

1 cup water
2 tsp canola oil
3 cups bread flour
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
1 egg white, beaten with a splash of water

1.  Add all ingredients except the egg white to your bread machine according to the manufacturer's directions.  Set to dough setting.
Mine says to put liquids in first, then flour & seasonings, ending with yeast.


2.  Remove dough from machine and punch down.  Cover and let rise 10 minutes.
Dough ball!


3.  Divide into 8 pieces, roll into a ball and punch a hole through the middle, pulling a little to stretch out the ring.
Looks kinda like a pizza here.


4.  Lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Once you make the first dough ring, start a 20 minute timer.  Quickly make the seven remaining rings.  Cover and let rise.
Don't be afraid to stretch the dough for thinner rings.  They're going to puff up.


5.  In a large pot or deep skillet, bring 6 cups of water and 1 tbsp of sugar to a boil.  Boil the rings, four at a time, for 45 seconds on each side.  Drain on paper towels and then return to the parchment lined baking sheet.  Brush tops with the egg white.
KEY STEP: boiling first gives bagels that outer chewiness.


6.  Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are browned.  Cool on wire racks.
BAGELS!
 Yes, I just gave you a recipe for plain bagels.  Don't look at me like that....I will share recipes for other, fancier bagel flavors.  But in the meantime there's a LOT you can do with these.  If you like toppings (sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried minced onion, toasted pumpkin seeds), sprinkle those on top right after brushing with the egg white.  Experiment with flavored cream cheeses or different kinds of jelly.  OR cook up some eggs and sausage to make a killer homemade bagel breakfast sandwich.  See?  Plain bagels suddenly aren't so boring after all. ;)

Oh, and for an FYI, I'm paranoid about fresh breads going bad so I keep these in the fridge.  Since I like mine toasted and under a small continent of cream cheese, I don't worry about the fridge drying them out.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment