Monday, May 21, 2012

Pizza Pocket

I've made variations of this before.  Always, always, ALWAYS with messy results.  And can I just say that I really hate dealing with egg wash?  Does that make me a bad cook?  If so, so be it.  But the egg wash makes the edge slimy, so they're difficult to seal.  And then they never actually do seem to seal because my filling starts to leak out.  And then there's the vent holes, which never seem to do their job.  Oh they vent the steam alright, along with half the filling.

So yeah, I haven't made pizza pockets too much because they're just frustrating for me to deal with.


Until now.

Pizza Pockets
Recipe from Jeff Mauro

All-purpose flour, for dusting
1 pound pizza dough, divided into 4 balls [NOTE: Buy this in the store or make it yourself.  Whichever is easiest for you]
2 cups shredded  mozzarella
12 ounces pepperoni, thinly sliced
Grated Parmesan, to taste
Marinara or pizza sauce

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.


2.  Roll out the dough balls on a lightly floured surface into 4 equal rounds. On half of each round, layer some mozzarella, and then some pepperoni slices.
I like to add a little cheddar and pizza seasoning to mine too


3.  Fold in half, covering the filling, and then fold the outer edges up and crimp the edges with your fingers to seal.
No messy egg wash!!  Just fold the bottom up and over the edge, crimping as you go.


4.  Place the pockets on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with your favorite marinara or pizza sauce on the side.
Yummy yummy!


Oh my goodness gracious are these good!!  And SOOOO EASY TO MAKE!!!  It seriously just takes a few minutes to put them together, and then they can just hang out on the pan until you're ready to bake them.  My next step with this is to see how they freeze.  Looooove a Get Ahead opportunity!!

p.s. Remember when I made that jam?  Put a tablespoon or two of that with mozzarella cheese in these; dip into a roasted tomato dipping sauce.  Feel free to call me when your taste buds have recovered to tell me how awesome that flavor combo is. ;)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment