Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes

Those damn mini fruit pizzas are finally out of my house.  AND we're down to only two cupcakes left from Kieran's party.  WOO HOO!!! So what do I go and do today while my boys watch a cartoon?  I bake cookies.  Because I need more sweets in this house?!?!  Oy...

Anyway, speaking of cookies, I realize that I forgot to tell you about the pancakes I made last week.  Cookies as pancakes.  That means we can have cookies for breakfast.  Or dinner. Or lunch.  Or anytime we want!


Gloriousness :)

Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes
Recipe slightly adapted from Rachael Ray

1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup, chopped walnuts
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 really ripe bananas, mashed up
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 stick butter melted

1.  Mix dry ingredients, the first 7, in a bowl.
The cinnamon totally makes these.


2.  In a another bowl, mix the wet ingredients, the next 4. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined, then fold in the mashed up bananas and the raisins. Stir in the melted butter.
Another great way to use up ripe bananas!


3.  Heat a non-stick griddle over medium heat. Cook pancakes, each about 1/4 cup, until bubbles form on the top, then turn. (WARNING: these do not set up firmly as they cook, which makes flipping a trick.  Use a thin flipper/turner/spatula/whateveryoucallthosethings and slide it under the cake quickly.)  Cakes will cook in about 2 minutes on each side. Keep pancakes tented with foil as they come off the griddle to keep them hot. Serve with drizzled honey or maple syrup over the top.
See? Even I had some issues in flipping a couple of these.



Now, some of you out there may be wondering why, out of all the fantastic cookies out there, I chose to keep this recipe as oatmeal cookie pancakes instead of making it chocolate chip. Or peanut butter. Or snickerdoodle.  Why the oft-maligned oatmeal cookie?  Well, because they're my favorite.

No really!  It's true!!  Much as I love chocolate, I actually can fairly easily resist most other cookies.  When offered a soft oatmeal raisin cookie (because it HAS to have raisins in it), I pretty much turn into this puddle of goo.  I cannot resist a good oatmeal raisin cookie.

Bonus with these though... despite having the flavor of an oatmeal raisin cookie, these are quite good for you.  The oats, yogurt, raisins, and bananas all help me to feel much better about drowning my stack of pancakes in butter and syrup. ;)  Oh and they're also REALLY YUMMY with a healthy schmear of peanut butter and folded over, just in case you need to eat on the run. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment