Monday, July 9, 2012

Chicken Taco Pizza

I've been tormenting my friends by talking about this pizza A LOT since my mom made it for me a couple weeks ago.


No more teasing... here's the recipe. Enjoy!!

Chicken Taco Pizza
Recipe adapted from Aaron McCargo, Jr.
Prep time: 15 minutes   Cook time: 15 minutes

For the Taco Seasoning:
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
1/2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper

For the Pizza:
1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for brushing
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 of pizza dough recipe  [NOTE: I used water instead of beer this time; 1 tsp garlic powder and 3/4 tsp oregano for the seasoning.  I wanted to keep the crust flavor really mild for this pizza.  I wrapped the other half of the dough and stuck in the freezer for another day.]
All-purpose flour, for dusting
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
Guacamole (see recipe below)
Salsa
Sour cream
Fresh cilantro, optional 

For the guacamole:
1 avocado
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp diced red onion [NOTE: I used white onion this time because I forgot to buy a red one]
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper 


1.  Preheat a pizza stone or upside cookie sheet in the oven at 425. 

2.  Make the taco seasoning: combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
Makes a TON!  Store the leftovers in an airtight container.



3.  Prepare the pizza: season both sides of the chicken breasts with some of the taco seasoning (I used about 2 tsp total).  If you have the time, set the seasoned chicken aside about 30 minutes to marinade.  If you don't have the time, I promise it still tastes good.
Be generous with the seasonings.



4.  Preheat a grill pan or skillet over medium high heat.  Cook the chicken until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.  Let cool, then cut into bite-size pieces.
Always, always, ALWAYS let meat rest a bit before cutting.


5.  Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Brush with canola oil and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Mix the cheeses in a bowl, then sprinkle on the crusts and top with the chicken. Bake the pizza on the hot pizza stone until the crust is golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.


I used about 1 1/2 of the chopped chicken breasts.


6.  While the pizza bakes, mix the avocado, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, red onion, and salt and pepper to taste. Top the pizzas with the guacamole, salsa, sour cream and cilantro, if using.
Love love LOOOOOOVE the chili powder in this guac!!


If you want a smokier flavor, by all means follow the original recipe and grill this beauty!  But if your Grill Master is unavailable, I don't think that should stop you from enjoying the amazingness of this pizza.

Not gonna lie... when I made this on Friday I ate half the pizza.  I'm not ashamed.  It's just TOO GOOD.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment