Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Beer Salmon

It's been a while since I've made fish. I grew up on a coast of some kind until I was 13.  So of course the various kinds of seafood I was fortunate to experience was OUT OF THIS WORLD.  And it occurred to me a few weeks ago that my kids aren't experiencing that.  Some of that is out of my hands.  I mean, let's be honest, the crab in Wisconsin just isn't going to taste like the crab in Maryland.  The sushi anywhere in the Midwest is not going to come close to the sushi in Japan.  Period.

BUT. I can do a little something at least.  I can do a better job to make seafood a part of Gavin's and Kieran's diets.  I can pick up things like salmon, shrimp, and a few other kinds of seafood when the budget allows to help broaden their horizons. 

And selfishly, Rob and I will enjoy every last mouthful of my broadening attempts, especially when they're as tasty as this.
It flaked apart on me but tasted AWESOME

Beer Salmon
Recipe adapted from Sandra Lee
Prep time: 5 minutes   Cook time: 20 minutes

1 salmon fillet
Garlic salt
Brown sugar
Butter
Sliced red onion
Beer

NOTE: I know I didn't give you any measurements.  Because the amount of each ingredient will vary a depending on the surface area of your fish.  I used a 1 lb piece, that was fairly small but really thick.  My "measurements" are noted with the pictures below.

1.  Preheat grill to medium-high heat OR preheat the oven to 400.

2.  Using aluminum foil, create an oblong cooking tray to be placed directly on grill. I found it easier to do this by taking a baking dish and "lining" it with heavy duty aluminum foil to help me establish the shape.  Place salmon fillet in center of tray.
Why not let a baking dish help shape the foil tray?

3.  Season first with garlic salt, sprinkle with brown sugar, and then cover with pieces of butter. Top with sliced red onions. Pour beer of choice into tray to just below the highest point of the fillet.
Can you see the garlic salt?  I think I used about 3/4 tsp over my 1 lb fish.
I used about 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar.

I think I used less than 1 tbsp butter.  Salmon is already rich.

Clearly you don't need a whole onion.  Use as much or as little as you prefer.


4.  Seal up the fish in the foil (yay foil packet!). Place tray on grill, cover with lid, and grill for approximately 15ish minutes or until just cooked through.  OR place it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.  The exact time will vary depending on the thickness of your fish.
Just before sealing... Think this was a little over a cup of beer.


I first saw this recipe years ago. I was channel surfing and stumbled across the Food Network.  Sandra Lee had already started making this but I carefully watched what she did and was able to pretty much duplicate this a couple weeks later at a get together with friends.  In fact, I don't think I knew what the exact ingredient measurements were until I looked up the recipe for my mom a couple weeks ago.

Now, when I look at her measurements, I think she's being very generous, probably allowing for anyone who might have a larger piece of fish.  What I saw in the reviews though, were those who blindly followed those measurements, and didn't allow for any sort of adjustments based on how much fish they were dealing with.  So that's why I've withheld the measurements.  You're more than welcome to click on the link above though to get them.

But whether you choose to follow her recipe, or go with your gut, this recipe is YUMMY.  And I love that you can do this on the grill if the weather's good, or in the oven if your Grill Master is under the weather.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment