Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pork Chops in Wine

I think I'm still in shock over this one.  Even though this is a recipe from my own childhood, I guess I just expected that my resident Picky Eater (Gavin) would hate it.  Not so!  He loved it!  He ate everything I gave him without any prompting whatsoever.


He even ate the leftovers!!!

Wow.

Pork Chops in Wine
Recipe from my mom
Prep time: 20 minutes   Stove Top Time: 15 minutes   Oven Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

4 pork chops, preferably bone-in (keeps the meat juicier)
1 cup flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, sliced
1 (8oz) container cremini mushrooms
2 tsp soy sauce
1 cup of wine (red or white, whichever you have on hand)

1.  Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Preheat the oven to 350.
Didn't mean to but I bought the most GIGANTIC chops I've ever seen.


2.  Season the flour generously with salt and pepper.  Dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.  Lightly brown the chops in the buttered skillet.  Set the browned chops aside in a baking dish.
See?  They're huge.


3.  Prep the mushrooms however you like: sliced, run through the food processor, quartered, etc.  Once the pork chops are browned, add the onions and mushrooms to the skillet and saute until the onions are softened and the mushrooms are browned.
Mmmmm...onions cooking in pork fat.

I sent my 'shrooms through the FP.  Sliced is AMAZING though!


4.  Spread the onions and mushrooms over the pork chops in the baking dish.  Mix the soy sauce and wine together and pour over the pork, onions, and mushrooms.
Ready for the wine!


5.  Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

At the end of all this browning, sauteing and baking, which I know is a lot, you will have the most tender, falling-apart chops that truly will melt in your mouth.  This actually was the first time I'd made these for Rob, so it's been even longer since I'd eaten this dish myself.  I'd forgotten how good it is.  Does it take a while to put together?  Yes, I won't lie to you about that.  The meal worth all the effort?  YES!!!

And yes, my Carnivore Baby also inhaled this. ;)  Leftovers too.  This is a winner!
Pin It

1 comment: