Friday, July 6, 2012

Fakeout French Silk Pie

I normally don't post on Fridays.  There's too much going on and we're all preparing for the weekend...it was just a decision I made to give myself a break on Fridays.
Does this look healthy to you?

But my cousin has requested some healthy meals.  And no, dessert does not constitute a meal (well, it shouldn't but we all know there are days when Ben & Jerry are the only dinner guests).  But this dessert is TOO FANTASTIC to wait until next week.

This one's for you cuz!

Fakeout French Silk Pie
Recipe renamed from Alton Brown (I think mine is more descriptive & intriguing than his; sorry Alton!)
Prep time: 10 minutes   Cook time: 5 minutes   Chill time:  2 hours

13 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup coffee liqueur OR leftover morning coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 lb silken tofu, drained
1 tbsp honey
1 (9-inch) prepared chocolate wafer crust 

1.  Place enough water in the bottom of a 4-quart saucepan to come 1 inch up the sides. Bring to a simmer over medium heat (we're preparing a double-boiler).
No need for special equipment.


2.  Melt the chocolate chips with the liqueur and vanilla in a medium bowl set over the simmering water, stirring often.
Who wants to lick the spoon? ;)


3.  Combine the tofu, chocolate mixture and honey in a blender or food processor and spin until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour the filling into the crust and refrigerate for 2 hours, or until the filling sets firm.
You don't want to see any white chunks at all when you're done blending.


One of my friends dislikes vegetables and any food closely resembling nutrition.  And by "dislikes" I mean he HAAAAAAAAAAAAATES them.  The first time I made this, halfway through his slice I told him there was tofu in it.  Oh yes I got the death glare.  And I continued to get the death glare as he finished eating it.  He still gives me the death glare when we talk about it... but he would totally eat it again because it really is that good.

This is a rich, creamy, decadent pie that will totally satisfy your chocolate craving.  Not only do I love the use of tofu (hurray protein!!), but I also like that the only added sweetener is honey instead of regular sugar.  And only a tablespoon of that! 

p.s. Just because there's tofu in this, don't think that means we can eat half the pie without suffering the Calorie Consequences.  Still cut this into 6 or 8 slices and try to keep yourself to just one piece. :)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment