Friday, February 25, 2011

Get Ahead: Chicken-Mushroom Quesadillas

I'm going to challenge you this weekend.  Yup, I said it.  I challenge you to pick out a recipe you really enjoy but never make because it's pretty involved and make it this weekend.  Eat it right away if you like but freeze a portion of it for another night.  You can do this.  You can totally do this!  And after you make it, let me know what you made so then I can turn the tables and ask for your recipes. ;)  Oh, and you get bonus points if you double your recipe.

Now, what am I up to this time...ah yes, something involving cheese!

Who doesn't love quesadillas?  Melted cheese in between two crispy tortillas, topped with creamy sour cream, spicy salsa, or maybe some cool guacamole.  I also happen to love how EASY quesadillas are to make.  Have them as an appetizer for a party or for a quick weeknight dinner, these things are awesome!

I never really thought much about what you could do with a quesadilla until my mom introduced me to this recipe a few years ago.  Obviously I must have liked it but what I really remember was my son inhaling these!  I decided then and there to make this on my own, with some tweaks according to my family's tastes.

Chicken-Mushroom Quesadillas
Recipe adapted from So Easy


1 tbsp canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 container cremini mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cooked chicken, either diced or shredded
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp chili powder
2 cups baby spinach
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Tortillas
Shredded cheddar cheese
Preferred toppings

1.  Use a damp cloth to gently wipe off any dirt on the mushrooms [Note: do NOT run mushrooms under running water!  Mushrooms are little flavor sponges; rinsing them under water means they will soak up the flavor of...well, water].  Break mushrooms apart a little and toss into food processor.  Process until they almost have a paste consistency and look similar to ground beef.

Does this look like ground beef to anyone else?

2. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and mushrooms and cook until mushroom water has evaporated and mixture is beginning to brown (about 5-7 minutes).

 

3.  Add garlic and cook for another minute.  Toss in cooked chicken and seasonings and stir to combine.  Add spinach, salt, and pepper and toss just until spinach has wilted a little.

LOVE that bright green color!!
Ok so at this point you have some options.  You can continue on to step 4 and make up the quesadillas right away, OR you can cool the mixture and store it in freezer bags for later use.  If you opt for the latter, let the mixture thaw before picking up again at step 4.

4. Heat a griddle over medium to medium-low heat.  Take a tortilla and sprinkle a little shredded cheddar on one half.  Top with a couple tablespoons of chicken mixture and sprinkle a little more cheese on top [Note: a little goes a long way].  Fold the tortilla over.  Toast the quesadilla on both sides until cheese is melted.  Top with favorite toppings and enjoy!
One recipe equates to THREE dinners for us, plus leftovers if we're not too starving that night.
You probably picked up on the fact that this doesn't take much time to put together.  So why do I think of this as a "get ahead" recipe?  Because it makes a TON!  You really don't need much filling for each quesadilla so one recipe could feed quite the crowd.  I will typically make a batch of this, split it into thirds and freeze it in quart freezer bags until I'm ready to make them.  Not only is this super easy to make, but HEALTHY too!  And with such lovely seasonings, you won't notice that you're eating mushrooms and spinach too. ;)
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Great looking blog and amazing looking recipe! I've never considered freezing the filling before or using spinach as a filler. I'm excited to try it, since I've been using the "toss shredded lettuce on top of the quesadilla method."

    I have a trick for quesadillas that I love:
    Buy a jar of medium Hooters wing sauce (Not as satisfying as getting it from a ditzy blond, but at least you don't have to leave a tip!).

    - Mix equal parts Hooters sauce and ranch dressing with a little black pepper.
    - Take chopped chicken (breaded chicken is REALLY good with this) and toss it in the sauce.
    - Using tongs, lightly shake the chicken. Don't shake too much off, since the sauce is the good part!
    - Just as the cheese is starting to melt put the chicken in the tortilla and finish cooking.

    It adds a nice tangy, spicy, buttery flavor to the quesadilla that goes really well with sour cream.

    Also, this mixture is great with wings!

    ReplyDelete