Monday, March 12, 2012

Meatloaf Sandwiches

I've been really frustrated the last week or so.

Last month I took the boys to visit my in-laws for a week and ever since then Gavin has decided to take up whining as his new hobby.  He practices this hobby everyday.  Religiously.  And it's not because of anything I or my in-laws did or didn't do; he's 4.  This happens.  Right now I just want to know does it ever END?????

On top of this reallyreallyreallyREALLY irritating habit, I haven't been having much success in the kitchen lately.  I've tried a few new recipes, and they've turned out ok... but that's just it: meh, O-K.  Nothing that makes me excited to find my laptop and tell you how much you need to make this RIGHT THIS SECOND.

So I've been frustrated.  And there is only one thing that can beat back Kitchen (with a smidge of Mommy) Frustration: comfort food.

Does it get any more comforting than meatloaf?  Didn't think so.

Meatloaf Sandwich
Recipe unintentionally adapted from Jeff Mauro

Meatloaf:
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, minced
Salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup coarsely crushed saltine crackers (about 24 crackers)
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
2 large eggs
Freshly cracked black pepper
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork 
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

Glaze:
1/2 cup ketchup
4 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp apple cider vinegar 

For the Sandwich:
4 slices sharp Cheddar
8 slices of potato bread
Pickle slices (3 to 5 per sandwich)


1.  For the meatloaf: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onions, season with some salt and saute until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes without letting the garlic brown. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Pre-cooking helps soften and draw out natural sweetness


2.  In a large bowl, add the crackers, milk, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce and eggs. Whisk together, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the meat, parsley and cooled onions. Mix with your hands until evenly combined. Using your hands, gently form the meatloaf into a loaf about 9-by-5-inches. Place on a baking sheet.
Overmixing meat = BAD.  Combine the add-ins first before adding the meat.



3.  For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. Slather half of the glaze over the meatloaf, making sure NOT to touch the meatloaf with the spoon and then put that spoon back into the glaze.  Set remaining glaze aside.
My "loaf" looked more like a football.  I'm ok with that.


4.  Bake until the meat registers 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 1 hour. Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing for sandwiches.
ALL MEAT MUST REST!!!!!!



5.  To build the sandwich: Place a slice of cheese on a piece of bread, then a slice of meatloaf, spoon some of the reserved glaze on the loaf, pop on a few pickles and top with another slice of bread. Repeat to make 3 more sandwiches.
Yum yum yummy yum YUM

This is the first time I've ever used more than one meat in a meatloaf.  I know! Craziness I tell ya.  I have to say that I am a believer, a convert, a whatever you want to call me because I LOVE having pork as well as beef combined.  This was a juicy, tender, FLAVORFUL meatloaf.  The glaze was like a sweet, thin barbecue sauce... balancing these flavors with soft, hearty potato bread, sharp Cheddar and tangy pickles?  I'm pretty sure my taste buds wept.  Throw in some kettle chips and a frosty beer and I don't think any amount of frustration could withstand this amount of comforting goodness.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. To add to your frustration relief, Jeanna you just saved my life. I needed a meatloaf recipe today since I neglected to put it in the crockpot this morning (and I really hate that recipe anyway) and what do I see as the first post? Meatloaf. And a Jeanna approved revipe that has actual ingredients. Not a crappy Taste of Home Slow Cooker Recipe book version from a certain mother-in-law that uses ONLY ketchup as the topping. Victory is mine! Well, and yours. That was the point of my comment after all. :-) no searching the interwebs endlessly for a recipe now. If its Jeanna approved I'm sure its good :-) And Julian is thrilled. More playing with him, less trolling epicurious and allrecipes among others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo!! :D:D Oh, and ketchup is so overrated as a meatloaf topping. I can say that because I grew up with it, but Rob was the one who insisted I branch out. My other go-to meatloaf recipe uses a combo of salsa and BBQ sauce for the topping.

    ReplyDelete