Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Black Bean Burgers

A while back my cousin asked me about veggie burgers.  Although I loooooooooove to experiment with new flavors and textures, I'm married to a Committed Carnivore.  Creating a dish that is normally, primarily, made of meat and making it completely from non-meat ingredients just hadn't crossed the threshold of my mind.  Sure I may have played around with adding veggies to burger patties, but a whole patty made completely from vegetables??  Yeah no.  I got nothing.

But her request stuck with me.  It bothered me that I had no answer.  I haaaaate when I can't help someone out.  So I thought on it.  And thought.  And thought.  Why couldn't I make some veggie burgers, alongside some regular ones for Rob to eat?
So pretty AND yummy!


Why not?

Black Bean Burgers
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes, based on recommendations by a reviewer

1 (15.5oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 egg
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp Sriracha or hot sauce of choice
1/2 cup Panko

1.  After rinsing the canning juices off the beans, dry on a paper towel-lined plate*.  Transfer beans to a medium bowl and mash until thick and pasty.
Use a fork, potato masher, or, like I did, your hands.


2.  In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Line a sieve with a paper towel or coffee filter.  Pour pepper mixture into the liner and press out as much of the liquid as possible*.  Then stir into mashed beans.
You'll be amazed how much water is in this.

 
3. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties. 
Press into an even layer and score for equal patties


4.  Lay patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.  Freeze at least one hour.
Ready for freezing!

 

5.  FOR GRILLING: Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. Place frozen patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side.  FOR BAKING: Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly oil a baking sheet.  Place frozen patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side. FOR FRYING: Heat 1 tbsp of canola oil in a frying pan.  Fry frozen patties about 5-8 minutes per side, until edges get that yummy crispiness.
I wanted that flat-top-grill texture to my burger.

*You want to remove as much moisture as you can from the bean mixture to help prevent the patties from falling apart as you handle/cook them.  Freezing them also helps with this.

I really wasn't sure what to expect from this.  I'd had the occasional veggie burger before but usually stuck with meat burgers.  At first, I wasn't too sure about the texture... I mean, it's just mashed up beans in the shape of a circle, right?  I chose to fry mine because I wanted that crisp burger-esque edge to them.  The result?  DANG tasty!! 

I also love that with this recipe you can make up a bunch of patties and keep them in the freezer.  Since there's no need to thaw them before cooking, this makes for an EASY long-day dinner with a tasty pile of chips and crisp salad.
Three more ready for later meals.  Woo hoo!!


p.s. Despite the amount of chili powder and hot sauce, these are NOT spicy.  It's just enough to give the flavor a little kick.  If you like spice, maybe use a hot pepper instead of a bell pepper.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Totally making up a stack of patties tonight to keep in the freezer! Hubby and I have both been craving these for weeks!

    ReplyDelete