Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chocolate Banana Breakfast Shake

If memory serves correctly, the first time I ever had a chocolate-dipped frozen banana we were still living in Southern California.  It may have even been at Disneyland, so I would have been about 6 years old.  It didn't take long for me to realize why my mom loves them so much.  Something frothy and magical happens when a banana is frozen.  Then dip that in heavenly chocolate?  Oh my.....  Yeah, that's what this drink is like.
Milk: it does a body good.  Pass it on!
I have no problem making adjustments to recipes to suit my tastes.  However with this one I altered the name instead of the ingredients.  I could not detect much of a coffee flavor; the balance of chocolate and bananas was much more prominent.  Plus the original recipe calls this a smoothie and you've already learned about my issues with dairy in "smoothies."  So I tend to think Chocolate-Banana Breakfast Shake is a more descriptive name for this one. 

Chocolate-Banana Breakfast Shake
Recipe from So Easy (if you're looking for this recipe in the cookbook, it's Mocha Java Smoothie)


2 tsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp sugar
2 shots hot espresso OR 2 rounded tsp espresso powder dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
2 bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
2 cups milk
1 cup ice

1.  In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, sugar, and espresso until the sugar and cocoa are dissolved.
Frothy deliciousness!
2. Pour espresso mixture, milk, bananas and ice into blender and blend until smooth and heavenly.
You want to drink this right now, don't you?
As easy as this is are you still to pressed for time to make this the morning?  No biggie.  Mix up the espresso mixture the night before.  Pour that and the milk in the blender pitcher and store in the fridge.  When you're ready to go, toss in the bananas and ice and blend away!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment