Thursday, April 21, 2011

Reruns

I have a hard time repeating recipes.  I'm not even really sure why that is exactly.... but once I get a recipe down, no matter how much I love it, it can be months, even a year or more before I'll make it again.  It's like I get bored with it or something.  And I'm not even consciously aware that I'm doing it!  A few months ago, when Gavin was getting pretty bad about eating dinners with us, Rob really made me aware that I was doing this.  At first I didn't quite believe I was that bad.  But then I went back through the calendar, where I write down our weekly meal plan.  Ho. Lee. COW.  He was right.  And let me just say that it's pretty hard to have a true Family Favorite if Mommy doesn't make it again for 8 months.

So in the last few months I've really tried to make an effort to repeat recipes more frequently, especially ones I know Gavin likes.  Mac & cheese now makes a monthly appearance on our table, if not twice a month.
You can never have too much goat cheese

I'm also trying to give in to my cravings more, like for flank steak that's spent the day soaking in a balsamic marinade.  Oooohhhhh yummy!
I could eat this picture.  Yeah, it's THAT good.

No matter what the day throws at you, when Chicken Azteca is waiting for you at the end of it, it's a good day.
Creamy chicken + hot rice + CHEESE = Happy Comfort

And I've noticed how much y'all like the Strawberry French Toast Bake.  I felt the need a couple weekends ago to refresh my memory on just how good it is. ;)
Aren't strawberries just about in season again?


I'm learning that it's ok to make things frequently.  Even if it bores me a little sometimes.  I'm taking more joy in seeing my son light up that I'm making pancakes for dinner.  Or Rob's obvious delight when I make some good, old-fashioned red meat dinner.  There's more to cooking than the flavor, texture, smells, and feel of the food itself.  It's also about making people happy.  And that's truly satisfying. :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment