Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Uglies

Yeah, you heard me.  I made a dish that is called "Uglies."  Don't look at me like that...I didn't come up with the name!  In fact, I have to say I disagree with this name because I actually thought they were kinda cute, in a rustic, homey sort of way.


Whether you choose to try the actual recipe for this is up to you.  What I find most intriguing though is the concept behind this.  Cooking a protein with seasonings, adding sauce, spooning this mixture into a dough cup, topping with cheese and bake.  That's really what this recipe boils down to.  Hmmm, interesting....  Could this then be something used to tackle the ever-present Leftovers?  Could these be main dish or an appetizer?  Could these be vegetarian?  Could these be carnivore?  Could these be a weekend party food or a fast weeknight I'm-so-tired-I-could-scream-but-my-family-needs-to-eat meal?

Abso-fricking-lutely!!


Uglies 
Recipe from AllRecipes

1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp-ish garlic powder
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
8-10 refrigerator biscuits
1/2 cup-ish shredded cheddar

1.  Preheat oven to 400.  Heat a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add beef, onion and garlic powder and cook until meat is no longer pink and onions are translucent.  Drain any excess fat.  Add barbecue sauce and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.

2.  While the beef mixture is cooking, grease a muffin tin and open the biscuit dough tube.  On a floured surface, roll the raw biscuits to about 6" diameter.  Place dough in prepared muffin tin (my dough did not want to stay up the sides so I stretched each piece over the top and the dough sank in to it's little spot as I spooned the filling in).
Biscuit before. Biscuit after.
3.  Spoon filling into each dough-lined muffin cup.  Top with shredded cheddar.


4.  Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and biscuit dough is cooked and golden.
I suppose at this point these aren't that attractive.
Whenever I find recipes like these, where the concept just jumps out at me, I think I must get this crazy gleam in my eye.  I start thinking of all the cool possibilities!!  Is your kid like mine and won't touch barbecue sauce (I know, weird...we're working on him)?  Use a spaghetti sauce instead.  Or Alfredo sauce. Or some completely crazy but TOTALLY delicious sauce your family loves that perhaps your grandmother makes only twice a year.

Or hey, why not go REALLY easy on yourself and use the leftover barbecue (beef, pork, chicken, whatever) from the Memorial Day party.  Then this 30-minute meal pretty much becomes a 20-minute meal.  Bonus!!

Don't do meat?  No problem...saute your favorite selection of tofu and small veggies together with a tangy ginger sauce.

Are you getting yet how you can totally take this recipe and run with it?  The dish as-is is quite good.  But I think I'm going to have even more fun with playing around with the different possibilities.

Man I love cooking.  One recipe, infinite possibilities. :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment