Friday, April 1, 2011

Carrot Cupcakes

I'm still working out some final issues regarding pictures, so I don't have the Lemon Pasta with Shrimp recipe quite ready to go.  I'm sorry.  Forgive me please?  How about I distract you with cupcakes... would that be ok?

Distracted yet?

Normally I am about the biggest fan of the boxed cake mix that you can find.  I have tried on numerous occasions to make a cake a scratch.  Don't get me wrong, the cake always turns out fine....however I don't think it's any better than what I get from whipping up a boxed version, so why expend the extra time, money, energy, and ingredients on a from-scratch version?  Much as I adore baking, even I don't see the logic in that.

These carrot cupcakes though....oh my.  They. Are. DELICIOUS!!  They turn out so moist and yummy and wonderful with just that hint of spice.  I will go out on a limb and say the cake is even better than a box mix, and certainly not any more difficult to put together.  Bonus!!

And then can we talk about the frosting?  Yes, let's talk frosting.  Unless you're talking cream cheese or that caramelly deliciousness that tops a German chocolate cake, I don't really do frosting that much.  I'm sorry if that offends but I'm just not a frosting person.  Being carrot cake though, these demand a cream cheese frosting so I get extra excited about carrot cake in general.  But why stop at ordinary cream cheese frosting?  Let's step this up and add a lemony kick to it!  W.O.W.  The balance of the sweet tart frosting with the moist, rich, spicy cake is just out of this world.

Is it any wonder I made these for my mom's birthday?  She is TOTALLY WORTH IT!!

Carrot Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe from Ellie Krieger, The Food You Crave
For the cupcakes:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots [Note: do NOT get the pre-"shredded" stuff from the grocery store; shred these yourself.  Those bagged "shreds" are more like matchsticks so unless you like carrot crunch in your cake, shred your own carrots.  Trust me on this one.]
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts, or thereabouts ;)
For the frosting:
4 ounces Neufchâtel cheese (reduced-fat cream cheese), softened
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

1.  Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. In a medium bowl, sift together both flours, the baking soda, salt, and spices. 
Yay for spices!!
2.  In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, brown sugar, and eggs until well combined. Whisk in the applesauce, vanilla, and carrots. 

 I am absolutely in love with that gorgeous orange color.
3.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the walnuts. 
Walnuts are my favorite.  I buy them in bulk.

4.  Divide the batter between the muffin cups; I find the best way to do this is with an ice cream scoop. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Mmmmmmmmm cake batter...
5.  To make the frosting, with an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and lemon zest until smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with the walnuts. The cupcakes should be stored in the refrigerator, where they will keep for about 3 days.
Fluffy, pillowy clouds of sweet tartness.  YUMMM!
I think these cupcakes are the cat's meow.  But.  I have one teensy tiny issue with it.  Between the batter and frosting, it makes EXACTLY enough for 12 cupcakes.  So be careful not to overfill the muffin tin.  And when you're frosting, maybe frost a little conservatively.  The flavor is powerful enough that you don't really need a lot of frosting, however if you are a frosting person you will want to double the frosting recipe.  Use any leftover frosting on pancakes. ;)  Or as a fruit dip.  THAT would be tasty.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. OMG. Not only do these cupcakes look delicious but frosting on cupcakes? Gavin has to love you, Mom! :)

    ReplyDelete