Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Get Ahead: Pulled Pork

Sometimes I think chicken and hamburger get too much attention.  Know what I mean?  When searching for new recipe staples, it's almost always "how can I make chicken and rice new and exciting?"  Or, "what else can I do with that pound of hamburger in the freezer?"  Sometimes, maybe for a thrill, we might throw in a pasta dish during the week's menu planning.  Oh joy.

What about pork??  No, I'm not going to go all "Pork: The Other White Meat" on you but seriously, how does this flavorful hunk of meat get overlooked?  I'm sure it's paid plenty of attention at breakfast time (baaaaaaacon......mmmmmm.... sausage....mmmmm).  Did you know though that there's more to a pig than just bacon?  Did you know that frozen cooked pork can be just as handy and, dare I say, necessary as frozen cooked chicken?

I am discovering just how versatile pork really can be.  Pork tenderloin is one fabulous, fast-cooking meat that should be every busy cook's go-to meat for last second entertaining (bakes in 20 minutes??  OK!).  Or take a strip of your breakfast bacon and wrap it around some chicken or beef; toss that baby on the grill and people will melt at your feet.  And pork chops!!!  Oh I love me a good pork chop sandwich.  But the big thing I'm into right now?  Pulled pork.

Pulled pork is typically made using pork shoulder and technically it should be smoked.  Well, until that day comes where either Rob or I want to experiment with smoking meats, I settle for doing things in my oven or slow cooker.  My goal is just to get the meat cooked to a point where I can easily pull it apart by hand.  That's all.

Pulled Pork
Recipe from Jeanna's head

8 lbs pork shoulder
8 tbsp spice blend [I used Galena Street Rib Rub from The Spice House]
1/2 cup brown sugar

1.  Remove crock from slow cooker, or use a large bowl.  Place pork in crock and massage in the spice blend and sugar until everything is well coated.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
My rub of choice
[Note: don't be scared of the amount of seasoning you're using.  You want to use about a tablespoon of the spice blend per pound of meat.  Sugar is optional; I used it to balance the red pepper flakes I noticed in the blend I chose.  I did not feel though that the sugar or spices overpowered the meat; rather it gave a nice background flavor to it.]

2.  Replace crock in slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
I want to point out that I added ZERO liquid.  Fatty meats produce their own juices as they cook.
3.  Shred pork and use as you wish.
Biggest bowl I have and it was OVERFLOWING with porky goodness

There really are just so many things you can do with this.  Toss some of the pork together with barbecue sauce for sandwiches (add chips and a fruit salad and you have a perfect spring/summer lunch or dinner).  Use pulled pork for enchilada, burrito, or taco filling.  Shoot, go crazy and sprinkle it on top of nachos!  Add it to your favorite chili/soup/casserole recipe.  See where I'm going with this?  Wherever you would normally think to use chicken or beef, try using pork instead.  I think you'll really enjoy the difference in flavor that pork can lend to the dish.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment