Thursday, April 14, 2011

BLT's with Beer Bread and Guacamole

I really don't have the time or energy anymore to keep up with cooking shows like I used to.  When Gavin was a baby (and before he was born too) I would watch Food Network on Saturday mornings the way most kids watch cartoons.  I love all the great ideas!

Nowadays I'm lucky if I can get a foodie magazine read before the next issue comes along.  But I do have one guilty Food Network pleasure that consistently pops up on the DVR: Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives.

This isn't really a cooking show; it's a guy touring the U.S. checking out funky, unique restaurants and sampling some of their most popular dishes.  And most of the time he'll learn how to make those dishes too.  I have found that I get some of the best ideas from watching what other creative chefs are doing, like this one.

BLT's on Beer Bread with Guacamole
Inspired by a restaurant that I cannot for the life of me remember on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. 

1 lb bacon
Mayonnaise
Sliced tomato
Leaf lettuce

For the bread:
12 oz warm beer
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp dark brown sugar OR honey
1 packet OR 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

For the guacamole:
2-3 ripe avocados
1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of one lemon

1.  To put together the bread, add all ingredients to the breadmaker according to manufacturer's instructions.  Bake using the white bread setting.  Let cool at least 1 hour before slicing.
A little dense but really good flavor!
2.  To put together the guacamole, cut the avocados in half and spoon the flesh into a bowl (remove the big seed either with a spoon or knife).  Add the remaining ingredients, plus a good pinch of salt.  Mash together with a fork.  For an extra kick toss in a seeded, finely chopped jalapeno.
No, I don't use conventional guac ingredients... and I don't care! ;)
3.  Preheat oven to 400.  Cut strips of bacon in half and lay on a baking sheet.  Bake for about 20 minutes (when you can smell it, it's probably just about done).  Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
I prefer the anti-stovetop-splatter method
See? Crispy bacon WITHOUT the grease stains or burned fingers!


4.  Assembly!  Toast 2 slices of beer bread.  Spread some mayonnaise on the bottom piece of toast.  Layer on a generous helping of bacon, lettuce, and sliced tomato.  On the top piece of toast spread a generous amount of guacamole (1/4 cup worth?).  Slice the sandwich in two and enjoy with kettle chips.
Commence drooling in 3...2....


This is how I put together this sandwich.  Do you have a bakery close by that you love and makes awesome beer bread?  Use that!  Have your own spectacular guacamole recipe?  Go for it!  My own sandwich did not use the restaurant's recipes at all....I just intensely desired to make my own version once I saw how deliciously yummy theirs looked.  And I have to say that even though I ate this beauty only a few days ago now, I'm already craving it again!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment