Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pear Ginger Breakfast Cake (Gluten & Dairy Free!)

If you are not fortunate enough to vote at my polling place, and therefore have access to our PTA's bake sale right when you walk in the doors, rest assured you can still enjoy at least what I donated!  This year I made some chocolate zucchini bread AND two of these lovely cakes.  By the time I voted at 8:15, only one of the cakes was left.  How's that for an endorsement??


Pear Ginger Breakfast Cake (Gluten & Dairy Free)
Recipe adapted from I have no idea what website anymore because I've had this for so long
Prep time: 15 minutes   Bake time: 45-50 minutes

2 ripe pears
2 tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Powdered sugar, optional

1.  Preheat oven to 350. Grease a medium-sized loaf pan. 
I made two cakes so I of course used double of the ingredients.


2.  Peel, core and dice the pears. Spread in baking dish and top with the crystallized ginger.  
My kids LOVE to snack on crystallized ginger!  That's probably why I'm low on it now.


3.  Beat eggs and sugar until pale in color and very thick. Add vanilla.  
Such a sunshine-y color


4.  Combine rice flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Sift over egg mixture and fold in. Drizzle oil around edge of bowl and fold in. Spread batter over diced pear.  
The consistency is similar to pancake batter.


5.  Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the top is lightly golden. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired. 
Ready for the oven!


This cake is AMAZING!!!  The cake part on top cooks up moist and delicious, with this thin crackly, crunch layer just at the top where it's golden.  And I swear pears and ginger are just about the most perfect pairing; they are juicy and succulent and oh-so-delicious underneath all that cakey goodness.  Whether you have this for breakfast or not, whether you have a gluten or dairy allergy or not, THIS cake is WORTH MAKING!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment