Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Risotto with Pesto and Peas

I have a thing for risotto.  I think it may have started shortly after our third anniversary.  Rob took me to this super nice restaurant and I had the most AMAZING roasted shallot risotto that I still daydream about almost six years later. *sigh*

Where was I?  Yeah, so I've tried to make risotto here and there; not too often because it does require quite a bit of attention as you ladle in the hot liquid and stir.  But sometimes I'm willing to make the time sacrifice because, dang it, my mouth wants the results!


This particular risotto recipe caught my eye for two reasons: 1) it calls for ham, which I knew I'd have plenty of after a certain recent holiday.  And 2) it also uses pesto, which I try to always have hanging around in my freezer because it's AWESOME.

Risotto with Pesto and Peas
Recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine

1-3 leeks (white and light green parts only), depending on their size, thinly sliced
6 cups water
Salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup diced ham
1/2-3/4 cup pesto, depending on how much you like pesto
2 string cheese sticks, sliced*
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

*I fully intended to use the shredded mozzarella I typically keep on-hand.  However I accidentally used it all up for Pizza Night so needed to get creative.  Thank God for the boys' snacks!

1.  Carefully rinse the leeks in cold water.  The best way I found is to fill a bowl with water and let the leek slices float in it for a while.  The sandy soil and grit will fall to the bottom of the bowl.
Sand and grit hide in ALL those layers.

Soak the leeks about 10 minutes, swishing a little to help the grit fall off.


2.  Make the broth: Bring the water and 1 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Adjust the heat to keep the broth at a gentle simmer.

My Observation: Honestly you could totally skip the broth part and use a good quality chicken or vegetable stock, and then some chopped green onions in lieu of the leeks. 

3.  Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, about 1 more minute.
Toast the rice a minute for a little deeper flavor


Slowly adding liquid as this cooks helps make risotto creamy and wonderful


4.  Add 2 cups of the hot leek broth to the rice; cook, stirring occasionally, until almost absorbed, about 6 minutes (adjust the heat to keep the risotto at a simmer). Add 1 more cup broth and cook, stirring, until almost absorbed, about 5 more minutes. Add the leeks, peas and 1 more cup broth and cook, stirring, until almost absorbed, about 5 more minutes. Taste the rice: If it is not fully cooked, add a little more broth and continue to cook, stirring, until al dente.

My Observation: If you are using only 1 large leek, be careful how much of it you add back into the risotto.  You want to add about a cup of the wilted leek slices back in so if you have more in the bowl, only add part of it back in.
It may taste bland; don't season yet!!  Taste again AFTER adding the ham and cheeses.



5.  Stir in the ham and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from the heat; stir in the pesto and cheeses. Season with salt.
Hurray for leftover ham!

This turned out SO FREAKING GOOD!!!  It was creamy and lemony and a little bit salty and cheesy and just ohsoyummy.  I gave some Kieran too, because most everything in it was soft or cut into small pieces. He loved it SO MUCH that he got mad when his tray was empty and cried until I shared what was left of mine.

[Side Mommy Note: I didn't think until after dinner that pesto has nuts in it.  We watched Kieran very carefully for any kind of allergic reaction.  Had I remembered beforehand about the nuts I would not have given this to him.  So please be aware if you're thinking of sharing this with an under-2-year-old.]

Oh, and I have a confession to make.  I deliberately waited to eat some of the leftovers for lunch yesterday until after Kieran was down for a nap.  And nope, not ashamed.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Jeanna, I just made a risotto recipe this weekend that you follow your up to and through step 3 then move it into a covered microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes. Stir and microwave on med. for 6ish more minutes and wah lah! (please note: I think I may have microwaved it on high the whole time as I don't know how to use my microwave ;o) (oh and just stir in your additives when you take it out the second time. It heats them right up!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! Add all the broth/liquid when you transfer pans!

    ReplyDelete