Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches (A Get Ahead option!)

I'm really trying harder when it comes to finding new recipes. I'm trying to not just file them, pin them, or dog-ear their page in a magazine. I'm trying to actually MAKE them.


This recipe had all the makings of one that I'd remark over but never actually get around to doing. But I'm determined. I've done fairly well in my intention of repeating family favorite recipes more often. So now it's time I focus on those new recipes.

Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches
Recipe from Ree Drummond
Prep time: 20 minutes   Cook time: 15-20 minutes

1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp grated onion (or 1 tbsp dried onion flakes, or 1 tsp onion powder)
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp spicy or Dijon mustard
1 tbsp prepared horseradish
Dash of Worcestershire
1 lb thinly sliced roast beef [NOTE: you might need a little more or less depending on how thin the slices are]
1 lb cheese (I mostly used provolone but also tried cheddar and a really good beer cheese)
12 dinner rolls (I used mini pretzel rolls, because my grocery store is awesome)
Aluminum foil

1. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, onion, poppy seeds, mustard, horseradish, and Worcestershire. Set aside (if you've got the time, make this ahead and let the flavor marinate together in the fridge until sandwich assembly-time).
I actually used my box grater for the onion. The microplane was taking too long.

This sauce is SPECTACULAR


2. Slice the rolls in half, if not pre-sliced. Arrange the rolls, horseradish spread, meat, cheese(s), and foil in front of you, like an assembly line.
Assembly Line: the only way to go for this.


3. Spread a little dressing on the top and bottom buns (about 1 tsp each). Lay the beef on the bottom roll, then top with a slice of cheese. Place the top bun on the cheese to close the sandwich.
Step 1: Slice bread and sauce them

Step 2: Meat. I lucked out with a roasted garlic roast beef.
Yes, it's to die for.

Step 3: Cheese. I had to cut the slices up a bit to make them fit better.

I could eat this cold without one single qualm.


4. Wrap the assembled sandwich in a square of foil and set aside. Continue making and wrapping sandwiches until all the buns are used.* To bake, preheat the oven to 350. Place the wrapped sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake about 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melty and delightful.
These went from my fridge to the oven with no adjustments or spreading out necessary.


*At this point you can freeze the sandwiches to bake up later.

These sandwiches were such a huge hit in my house! I made them up a couple days before my cousin and her family came up to visit, and baked them up after we spent an afternoon touring a local brewery. Best. Meal. Decision. Ever. Not only did the meaty, cheesy goodness help soak up some of the beer we sampled, but it was WONDERFUL not to have to race home to throw dinner together. The sandwiches were prepped and only needed warming. I did make up a few sauce-less ones for the kiddos. And yes, those were a hit too. Even Gavin, my non-beef-eating Picky Eater, loved them!

I'm not going to lie: we loved these so much that last week I bought another set of rolls, meat, and cheeses to make these up again. Yes, again. I know! I just made them and I'm already making more. This set though I squirreled away into my freezer for my husband and I to munch on as we please (yes, I put that zingy sauce on all of them because...well, I'm greedy).

And just because this recipe says roast beef, that doesn't mean you have to use it. Use ANY deli meat and/or cheese combination you like! Have a special obsession with hot ham and cheddar sandwiches with yellow mustard on potato bread? Do it. Are you a turkey and muenster on whole grain-only kind of person? Go for it! Corned beef and beer cheese on rye? Why not? Do whatever you like!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment