Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Farmer's Market Find: Cranberry-Chipotle Glazed Pork Chops with Roasted New Potatoes

I live in the Midwest. The very cold, often-dreary, northern part of the Midwest. Near a giant lake. Hello Lake Effect Snow.

Yet despite it feeling like winter nine months of the year, I absolutely love living here. Love, love, love!! And for lots of different reasons. One of them is the resourcefulness of the people who live here. Because a little cold, snow, and ice doesn't stop us from doing what we please and enjoying the outdoor activities we like.

We just move them indoors.

I first learned about the Milwaukee County Winter Farmers Market last year. And I've basically been "omg how freaking lucky am I?!?!!!" ever since. You see, we love our farmers markets around here. During our all-too-brief summers and early falls there are several markets waiting to be discovered in various areas on different days throughout the city. It's such a wonderful experience to visit these markets that it's kinda heart-breaking when the snow starts flying.

But not anymore!
My beautiful finds.


Now I can simply bundle up my kiddos, and drive the 20ish minutes to the botanical gardens in order to get my market fix. It truly is spectacular!

When I do go to farmers markets, I entertain myself with a little challenge. The beauty of these markets is the constantly changing variety based on what's in season and ready to eat. Technically this should produce a small-scale anxiety attack to a meal-planner such as myself. I refuse to let it though. I like wandering the different tables, tasting the samples, talking with the farmers, and letting my imagination take hold. It's inspiring! And who doesn't love to be inspired?
It's ok to drool.


So for last Saturday's Farmer's Market Find, I very quickly zeroed in on a cranberry-chipotle chutney. Like, literally did a double-take, and backed up in a crowded lobby with an impatient two year-old barely in an ancient, kinda rickety stroller just so I could sample it. The vendor, Savory Accents, told me it was especially good on pork. Another couple circuits around all the tables resulted in some tasty looking organic-fed pork chops (Morning Star Family Farm) and a colorful selection of new potatoes. My dinner is set, and it will be delicious!

Cranberry-Chipotle Glazed Pork Chops
It's my opinion that when you're working with such fresh, good-quality ingredients, that you don't need to add a whole lot of extra stuff. So these chops can literally be a 4-ingredient dish: the pork, the chutney, some salt & pepper, and some EVOO.

1. Heat a medium skillet (I only had two chops) over medium-high heat. Add the EVOO, and maybe a pat of butter if you like the flavor but that's up to you. The butter will add some richness while the oil has a higher smoke point.

EVOO is better for you, but who can resist the flavor of buttery richness?


2. Season the chops pretty well with S&P. Brown the chops in the skillet and remove to a plate to keep warm.
If you want your meat to get that gorgeous brown crust, PAT IT DRY FIRST.

See?



3. Reduce the heat a little and add a couple healthy dollups of the chutney. Scrape up the delicious brown bits as the chutney begins to bubble a little.
It's just so beautiful....


4.  Return the chops to the pan and turn a couple times to coat. If you're not sure if the chops are cooked through, reduce the heat a little more and cover the pan to let them cook a few minutes. Remember though that pork is allowed to be slightly pink in the middle, whereas chicken is not. Remove the cooked chops to a plate, cover, and LET REST for five minutes before digging in.
It's every bit as tasty as it looks.


p.s. If you're not really into a glaze, splash some chicken stock into the pan after removing the chops to deglaze it. Then add a spoonful or two of the chutney. The stock will thin out the chutney and create a sauce instead of a glaze. Always finish a pan sauce with a little pat of butter to give it a beautiful sheen and add a richer taste.

Roasted New Potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 400.
Nature's Jewels


2. Halve or quarter any large potatoes so they are all the same size (they'll cook evenly). Spread the potatoes out evenly on a baking sheet or pan. Drizzle with EVOO and toss to coat. Sprinkle on whatever seasonings, or seasoning blends you like. If you're using a seasoning blend without salt and/or pepper, sprinkle on a little S&P to enhance the flavors overall.
I used a lemon-garlic seasoning that I absolutely adore and would put on everything if Rob let me.


3. Roast for 40-45 minutes until tender.
These were positively creamy on the inside. 
Please note that I did not, and will not, receive any sort of compensation or accommodation from this market or any vendor listed in this post. The statements and reactions noted above are purely my own and not influenced in any way by outside sources. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment