Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Taco Pizza

I am always on the lookout for new ways to make my absolute favorite kind of pizza.


And this one is SO EASY, I can't believe I didn't figure this one out on my own:

Taco Pizza
Recipe adapted from Real Mom Kitchen
Prep time: 10 minutes   Cook time: 15-17 minutes

1/2 recipe pizza dough
1/2 can refried beans (I like the kind with jalapenos)
Leftover taco meat
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1 small can sliced black olives
Crushed tortilla chips, optional
Taco sauce, optional

1.  Preheat a pizza stone in the oven to 425 degrees.


2.  Dust your rolling surface with a bit of flour, and roll or pat out your pizza dough to your desired size and thickness.  I like my pizza crust fairly thin so my pies tend to be a bit larger.
Blank canvas


3.  Stir up the refried beans to loosen them a bit, or heat them in the microwave briefly.  Spread a thin layer of beans over the raw pizza crust. Top the beans with as much or as little leftover taco meat as you like.

Yes, those are black beans mixed in the taco meat.



4.  Sprinkle cheeses on top of the taco meat and follow with tomatoes, black olives, and green onion.




5.  Bake on the preheated pizza stone for 15-17 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.  Slice into wedges and serve each wedge topped with crushed tortilla chips and a drizzle of taco sauce, if using.
LOTS of toppings

I absolutely loved this recipe because I could customize it to what's easiest for me.  I make pizza dough every Friday in my breadmaker, so using a hunk of that is healthier/easier/cheaper than buying the recommended tube of crescent rolls.  Also, as much as I love taco pizza, I'm not going to go out of my way to cook up a topping just for a pizza.  So using up leftovers became the way to go for me!

I may actually start making twice as much taco meat now for Taco Nights, just so I can have enough for my favorite pizza on Movie Nights!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment