Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cheddar Popcorn

I've talked about my love of the Spice House here before, right?  I love that place!  It is sooo easy though to get myself into trouble and buy WAY MORE than I intended to get.  And of course spending WAY MORE money in the process.  Lately I've been better at keeping myself in check because I decided to allow myself one, reasonably-priced, splurge item per trip.

Well, my last visit there I let Gavin pick out the splurge item.  He immediately zeroed in on cheddar cheese powder.  And very quickly began to beg for me to make cheddar popcorn with it.


And a new family-favorite has been born in our house:

Cheddar Popcorn
Recipe adapted from The Spice House
Prep time: about 5 minutes   Cook time: about 5 minutes

6 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup cheddar cheese powder
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup popcorn kernals
Salt

NOTE: This is how I make this popcorn using the tools I have available, which happens to be an air popper.  If you make popcorn on the stovetop or in the microwave, you may need less, or no, additional butter.

1.  I have learned the hard, soggy way that when it comes to buttering your popcorn with the real deal, you need to remove the water from it first.  You can do this one of two ways: clarifying or browning.  I happen to really like the nutty flavor of browned butter so I usually do the latter.  To do this, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. As it melts, the butter will foam up a bit (these are the milk solids, which you want to go away), then subside. Watch carefully as lightly browned specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Once the butter begins to brown, it can burn rather quickly so don't walk away!! Smell the butter; it should have a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and place on a cool surface.
Beginning to melt

Foaming! Just let the butter do it's thing.

Yummy browned butter

2.  In a small bowl, combine the cheddar cheese powder, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper.
Mustard deepens the cheese flavor and cayenne gives the corn a subtle warmth.

3.  Pour the popcorn kernals into an air popper and turn it on.  As the popcorn pops into a large bowl, slowly drizzle the brown butter over and toss to coat.
Thoroughly butter the popcorn before seasoning or you'll get cheese powder clumps

4.  Working carefully, sprinkle some of the cheese mixture over the buttered popcorn and toss.  Keep sprinkling and tossing the popcorn until everything is coated to your preference.  Taste the popcorn and salt as necessary (toss the popcorn again after salting!).
Getting closer to that perfect orange color!

Ok so though I have been known to eat cheddar popcorn, it's never been one of my favorites.  I'd much rather have the classic buttered-and-salted, caramel, or kettle corn.  This was the first time I'd ever eaten fresh, homemade cheddar popcorn.

Now I see what all the fuss is about.  I have been converted.  This stuff is ADDICTING!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment