Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Berry Whiskey Barbecue Chicken

I love recipes like this.  Ones where I could follow the instructions EXACTLY and come out with a flavor EXACTLY like they say I should.  Or I can make a few flavor changes here and there and still end up with a PHENOMENAL dish.  And I can keep changing up the flavor depending on what I have on hand. 


One recipe, infinite flavor possibilities!!

Berry Whiskey Barbecue Chicken
Recipe ever-so-slightly adapted from Ree Drummond
Prep time: 10 minutes   Cook time: 2ish hours

1 1/2 to 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
1 1/2 cups whiskey
12 oz barbecue sauce
1 jar berry jam or preserves (I used some 3 Berry Honey jam I had left from last summer)
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 cloves garlic, peeled

1.  Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
I fail to see how this combination could go wrong.


2.  Heat oil and butter in a heavy, oven-safe pot over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Place chicken, 3-4 pieces at a time, in the pot. Brown both sides, then remove to a plate and repeat until all chicken is browned.
Beautifully browned.


3.  Add onions to pan and stir, cooking for 2 minutes. Pour whiskey into the pot, being very careful if you're using an open flame. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan, allowing whiskey to reduce for a minute or two. Pour in barbecue sauce, jam, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Throw in garlic cloves. Stir until combined, then return chicken to the pot, skin side up.  Cover and put pot in oven.
I actually turned my burner OFF to do this.  I don't mess around with alcohol and fire.


4.  Cook for 1 1/2 hours, then remove from oven.
Two hours later... *droooool*


Yes, there is a LOT of whiskey in this sauce.  Yes, your sauce will initially smell predominantly of whiskey.  Yes, you will get nervous about this despite knowing the alcohol cooks off.  NO, the sauce does not taste like a Whiskey Sauce.  It is the beautiful balance of sweet and tangy and maybe a little bit of spice depending on what barbecue sauce you use. 

And if you're still nervous about trying this sauce, just know that Gavin (aka Picky Eater) took one bite, then another, and happily gave me two enthusiastic thumbs up as he scarfed up the rest of his chicken.  This is the ultimate praise in my house!!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious! Could I make this in the crock pot instead?

    ReplyDelete