Monday, June 10, 2013

Cheesy Potatoes

Also known as Hashbrown Casserole.  Because that's what I've always known it as.

My first introduction to this hot dish of goodness, it was so amazing that I ate three helpings.  Large helpings.  Large helpings of cheesy, buttery, amazingness.  Oh my it was delicious.

I was sooooo siiiiiiick that night.

Remember, large quantities of fat doesn't agree with my system.  Yes, this can be a blessing but it can also be a curse.  Apparently there was so much butter in this casserole that three helpings of it was more than I could tolerate.  So I refused to eat this casserole for a long, long, loooong time.  Even when my mom swore that she used far less butter, I would only scoop about two bites on my plate.

Nowadays I'm less squeamish about taking a more acceptable helping, but it's still been on my mind to find a variation with little to NO butter in it, while still keeping all that same decadent flavor.


BINGO!!

Cheesy Potatoes
Recipe adapted from Weight Watchers
Prep time: 10 minutes   Cook time: 1 hour, 10 minutes

1 (10 3/4oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese NOTE: the sharper, the better
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 to 1/3 cup finely chopped scallions
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (32oz) package frozen shredded or diced hash brown potatoes, thawed

2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup Panko

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. In a very large bowl, combine soup, cheese, milk, yogurt, scallion, and season to taste. Stir in potatoes. Spread mixture evenly in prepared baking dish.

Creamy, cheesy...what could be wrong with this??

Could not resist a shot of how gorgeously GREEN these are!


2.  In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and Panko.  Sprinkle evenly on top of the potatoes. 

This already looks fabulous.


3. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 20 to 25 minutes more or until heated through and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
If the top doesn't get brown enough for you, turn on the broiler for a minute or two.


You'll notice, if you click through to the original recipe, that I took out every single "reduced fat" phrase on the ingredient list.  Why?  Because even though there are some things that I buy reduced fat (hello sour cream), others I cannot stand even the idea of getting low fat.  Cheese is one of them.  Have you tried reduced fat cheese??  Ew, ew, ewwwwwwwwwwwww!  I think you are far better off using a full fat cheese, but get something with a good sharp flavor so you end up using a little less.  So, if you normally buy a medium cheddar cheese, consider getting sharp, or extra sharp, for this casserole.  That more intense cheesy flavor will go farther to satisfy you.

Not that you won't take extra helpings of this casserole.  I made this for a cookout get together and I'm pretty sure every single adult there had at least two helpings of this dish.  Including me!!  It was so creamy, and cheesy, and rich (but NOT fatty!!), and wonderful!  I'm soooo thrilled with how this came out.  Now I can indulge my desire for this without fear!  WAHOO!!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment