Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Teriyaki Chicken Sub Sandwich

I've always been one for a big smorgasborg at a party.  This though has me wanting to plan a party just so I can make this sandwich and have all my friends partake in it's deliciousness.


Teriyaki Chicken Sub Sandwich
Recipe from Jeff Mauro
Prep Time: 15 minutes   Marinating Time: 1-2 hours   Cook Time: 15 minutes

1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup prepared teriyaki marinade [OR make your own!]
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp Sriracha (Asian chile sauce)
2 scallions, white parts only, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 small pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 12-inch sesame seed loaves of Italian bread
2 cups shredded red cabbage


1.  Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound to about 3/4 inch thick. Remove the plastic wrap, then combine the chicken and teriyaki marinade in a large freezer bag OR bowl and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
Truth: I took some extra help on this one and used bottled teriyaki sauce.


2.  Preheat the broiler OR grill. Mix the mayonnaise, Sriracha and scallions in a bowl; season with salt and pepper.
I. LOVE. This. Sauce!!!!!  I might put this on everything from now on.


3.  Broil or grill the pineapple slices until charred, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Broil the chicken until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Let rest a few minutes and then thinly slice on the diagonal.
More store help: a peeled and cored pineapple that I only have to slice.


4.  Sandwich build: Split the baguette in half lengthwise and lightly toast. Schmear the mayo mixture on the baguette. Layer the chicken on the baguette bottom. Top with the grilled pineapple, cabbage and the baguette top. Cut into individual sandwiches and serve.
A HEALTHY schmear of sauce.

Yummy, sweet chicken...

Ok, now I'm drooling...

GORGEOUS!!


It was pretty obvious to me that the men in my life were skeptical of this one.  So in making this for dinner, I made it a little more customizable.  Gavin and Kieran each had a little sandwich with just chicken and pineapple.  I would have been open to putting a little plain mayo on theirs had I thought they wanted it.  Rob was giving me The Eye about the cabbage so preferred his without that little dash of purpley crunch.  No matter what variation we ate though, the result was unanimous: Make This Again Please!!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment