Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Beef with Broccoli

Dear Chinese Food Restaurants,

I'm very sorry but... I'm breaking up with you.  I know this may come as a shock, but let's be honest here.  There's been a growing distance between us.  I know we've both tried to pretend the silence wasn't there, that things were just fine.  But they're not, and they haven't been for a long time.

You may not quite realize this but you've changed.  In the beginning, things were great!  They were amazing actually.  But now....  it's just not working anymore.

You see, I like my beef and broccoli untainted, simple, pure.  When I order B&B, I don't want bamboo shoots, onions, carrots, and a host of other veggies.  I truly just want broccoli.  And the beef?  Well, you have to admit that you've been off there too.  The flavor is just not the same.  It's not tender, and often overcooked actually.

Please know that I cherish the times we had together.  We had fun!  But it's time I moved on.  I found something else, and it works for me.  I wish you all the best, and know you'll find someone new.

With love,

Jeanna


Beef with Broccoli
Recipe adapted from Rainy Day Gal
Prep time: 10 minutes   Marinating time: at least 1 hour   Cook time: 10 minutes

For the marinade
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp canola oil
1 to 1 1/2 lbs flank steak, thinly sliced

For the stirfry
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp orange zest
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp dry white wine
3 tbsp canola oil, divided
4 cups fresh broccoli florets

1.  For the marinade: In a resealable bag, whisk together the baking soda, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, water, and canola oil.  Add in the steak strips, close the bag, and smush things around to get everything coated.  Refrigerate for at least one hour.
Beef: it's what's for dinner


2.  For the stirfry: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, orange zest, flour, and wine.  Set aside.
It helps to have everything ready to put in the pan.


3.  Heat 2 tbsp canola oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat (when you can see it shimmer, it's hot enough).  Carefully add the broccoli to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until they are bright green but still crisp, about 3 minutes.  Pour the broccoli onto a plate and set aside.
LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOOVE that bright green color!!


4.  Heat the remaining tbsp of oil in the skillet; again you want it shimmering hot.  Add the marinated beef and half of the sauce mixture.  Cook, stirring often, about 3-4 minutes until the meat is cooked through.  Stir in the broccoli and the remaining sauce and heat through, about 1 minute.  Serve over hot rice.
Pardon me while I go mop up my drool


I won't embarrass myself by telling you how much of this I ate.  Let's just say I was really full when I went to bed.  So not only was this flavorful and contained ONLY the ingredients I wanted, this came together in less time than it would for takeout to be delivered to my door.

Oh yeah, I found something new and I'm sticking with it!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment