Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Red Beans & Rice

Ok so while I'm nursing my bruised Cooking Ego over last night's disastrous soup, I think you need to take a moment to VOTE FOR MY BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!  Today is your last chance to decide what I'm baking so make sure your voice is heard!


Then come back here and check out my new favorite comfort food.

Red Beans & Rice
Recipe slightly adapted from Food Network Magazine
Prep time: 10 minutes   Cook time: 20 minutes

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pound turkey andouille or other smoked turkey sausage, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 15 1/2-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 cups cooked rice 
1.  In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, 3 to 5 minutes. 
Cook until onions are translucent and meat begins to brown.
2.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the beans, chicken stock, cumin, thyme, bay leaf, and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. 
Sometimes simple ingredients are the best ingredients.


3.  Cover, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.  Serve the beans over the rice.
Cover, turn the heat down, and walk away!


For many years, the most I knew about red beans and rice was that it takes hours to make and "freezes beautifully."  And even though I'd never tried it before, I had it locked into my mind that it was bland and I just wouldn't like it.  
And then we spent a long weekend in New Orleans.  And a whole new world of food possibilities opened up for me.  I learned a little bit more about the origins of this dish.  Did you know that it was developed as an easy dish to throw together on the morning of Laundry Day (which was traditionally Monday), would cook all day, and then the tired mamas would have a hearty meal ready to go at dinner time?  I did not know that, but I do know that I am frequently a tired mama who would love to have a hearty meal ready to go at the end of a long day.  So why not give this a try?
I realize this recipe is of course an accelerated version, and I do plan on trying a more traditional recipe, but I just LOVE how simple, delicious, and easy this version is.  The sausage is just a little spicy.  The beans give this an almost creamy texture, and the little bit of sauce soaks into the rice and MAKES this dish.

Love it.  TOTALLY making this again!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment