Monday, January 7, 2013

Cranberry Orange Cheese Spread

This is one of those kinds of spreads that people just can't get enough of.  It's sweet, but not Too Sweet.  It's festive, but not Too Festive.  And it makes a perfect appetizer without being Only An Appetizer.


Cranberry Orange Cheese Spread
Recipe slightly adapted from a Keebler cracker ad
Prep time:10 minutes   Chill time: at least 1 hour

1 (8oz) brick of neufchatel OR regular cream cheese, softened
Zest of 1 orange
Juice of half an orange
1 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)

1.  In small mixing bowl beat neufchatel, orange zest & juice, sugar, and cinnamon on medium speed until fluffy. 
Sometimes I forget and add the cranberries too early.  Oh well, it doesn't hurt!


2.  Stir in cranberries and pecans.   At this point you could shape it however you like, using cling wrap: a ball, a log, or leave it in a bowl to scoop out.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. 
I chose the cheese ball route: line a small bowl with plastic wrap.

Fill the lined bowl with the cheese...

...and smooth out the filling.

Fold the excess wrap over the top and chill

When firm, unfold the excess and pull the ball out of the bowl.

Invert the ball over the serving dish and peel back the plastic wrap.


I love the versatility of this spread!  It's absolutely addicting as a party appetizer.  I've lost count now how many times I've given out this recipe actually.  But my favorite use for this spread is with the leftovers.  I ADORE this on English muffins or bagels in the morning.  And lately I've been struggling with new ideas for my toddler's breakfast.  I found these cute little whole grain mini-pita pockets at Trader Joe's a while back and decided to tuck spoonfuls of the cheese inside.  He inhaled them!  

I think I'll have to make another batch of this spread this week just for my family to enjoy.  Yes, it's that good!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment