Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Meatloaf Muffins with Barbecue Sauce

I had a lot of comforting ideals when it came to food when Rob and I first got married.  Some became family favorites.  Others were shot down.  One that I fully expected to make periodically was the always classic meatloaf.

And then I was informed that my other half does not like meatloaf.

I don't really recall all the details of my reaction, but I know I was willing to accept the loss of tuna casserole.  And though it pained me, I'd manage without my beloved linguine with clam sauce.  But you know what?  A girl's gotta draw the line somewhere, and I decided that line was meatloaf.  Because when you think about it, my husband is a diehard Carnivore.  There is no reason why he should not like meatloaf!

My investigation began to find some means of getting that comforting flavor that I loved from my childhood but using ingredients that Rob couldn't say no to.

Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner!

Meatloaf Muffins with Barbecue Sauce
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion, cut into chunks
3 small-medium carrots, cut into chunks
1 large egg plus a splash of milk, beaten
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
2 tbsp grill seasoning
1 cup smoky barbecue sauce
1/2 cup salsa
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Extra-virgin olive oil

1.  Preheat oven to 450. 

2.  Put ground beef in a large bowl. In a food processor, add onion and carrots. Pulse until finely chopped and add them to meat bowl. Add egg (beaten with a splash of milk), breadcrumbs and grill seasoning. 
There really is meat under all that goodness!


3.  Next, in a small bowl mix together barbecue sauce, salsa and Worcestershire sauce. Pour half the sauce mixture into the meat bowl. 
Not your typical ketchup topping


4.  Mix meatloaf together with your hands.  Even out the meat in the bowl and score it, with your hand, into four sections.  Lightly roll each section into three balls.
I think these are rather cute


5.  Brush a 12-cup muffin tin with oil. Place a ball into each cup and pat down a little.  Top each meatloaf muffin with remaining sauce.  Bake about 20-25 minutes. 
Salsa and bbq sauce give this a deeper, almost meatier flavor


Not only does Rob really go for this, but I've grown to love it more than the ketchup-topped version I grew up with.  Bonus reason why I like this recipe?  Because it's divvied up into smaller portions, it bakes significantly faster then a standard loaf.  I love to serve this with cream cheese mashed potatoes and either green beans or a tossed salad.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment