Monday, October 24, 2011

Pretzel-Cheddar Crusted Chicken

I really do like pretzels.  I do!  I just don't love the gigantic bags they typically come in.  I swear that whenever I buy pretzels I end up throwing out half of them because they've gone stale waiting on us to snack on them.

It PAINS me to throw out food.  Physically pains me.  I mean, why not just take the money and throw it in the garbage instead??

Pretzels are such a common snack food; is there anything else I can do with these before they go stale???

Yep.

Pretzel-Cheddar Crusted Chicken
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray
 
Four 5-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast
1/2 cup salted baby pretzels 
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs 
1/2 cup shredded or crumbled sharp cheddar cheese 
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped 
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (eyeball it) 
Freshly ground pepper 
1 large egg 
All-purpose flour, for dredging 
Canola oil, for frying 
Salt

1.  Place 1 chicken breast on the center of a large piece of plastic wrap.  Cover and, using a heavy-bottomed pot or meat mallet, pound each breast until evenly thin.
I think my chicken breasts were about 1/4" thick


2.  Place the pretzels, bread crumbs, cheese, thyme, nutmeg and pepper in a food processor and pulse to grind until they’re the consistency of bread crumbs. Transfer the pretzel mixture to a shallow dish.
Simple, yet different, breading ingredients


3.  Crack the egg into a second shallow dish and lightly beat with a splash of water. Place some flour in a third dish. Coat the chicken first in flour, then egg and finally in cheese and pretzel crumbs. 
I did not measure the oil; just cover the bottom with a good amount.
Shallow frying, not deep frying.


4.  In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil over medium-high heat and add the coated chicken breasts. Cook in a single layer, 3 or 4 minutes on each side, until the juices run clear and the breading is evenly browned. Cut off a piece of a cutlet and taste, to see if you want to salt them a little.
The answer to Gavin's request for "crispy chicken."

FYI, this recipe is FANTASTIC with some warm, chunky apple sauce. ;) If you don't have any jarred sauce, or apples to make a quick homemade sauce, then some mixed veggies and brown rolls work just as well with this dish.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment