Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cranberry Ribs

When I think of ribs, I usually think Summertime Barbecue.  Smoke hanging rich and thick in the air.  Spicy, sweet sauce that gets everywhere.  Sticky fingers that are just begging to be licked clean.  Yeah, good times.

Oh and for the record, this recipe is not like that.

Sure it's still ribs, and there's a sauce, but these are done in a slow cooker instead of a grill or smoker.  Oh yeah...  These ribs sit in a berry bath all day in the slow cooker.  The result is meat SO TENDER that the bones just slide right out.  You could try and eat these with your hands, but I'd recommend a fork since the meat doesn't stay on the "stick", as Gavin calls it.

And my favorite part is that it doesn't have to be summer to enjoy these.

Cranberry Ribs
Recipe adapted from my brother

2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water [Psst! If your berries are still frozen then consider using only 1/3 cup]
1 Granny Smith apple, or other preferred TART apple, diced (about 1 cup)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 – 4 lbs. ribs
1 lg. onion, sliced
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1-2 tbsp water, optional

1.  Combine cranberries, syrup, brown sugar, water and diced apple in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and simmer 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in mustard, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. 
I really enjoy making cranberry sauce. It's so EASY! Plus my house smells great.


2.  Layer onion on bottom of crock pot. Put ribs on onion and spoon sauce evenly over ribs. Cook on LOW 7 – 9 hours. 
If you can get it all to fit, try to lay the ribs fat side UP


3.  Remove ribs to a platter. Strain juices into a sauce pan. Use cornstarch mixture to thicken sauce like gravy if desired. 
Fork required, knife not necessary.  The meat melts like butter!


When I started this blog, one of the many questions I'd get about cooking is how I can make so many from-scratch recipes after working a full day.  My answer: I take my short-cuts whenever and wherever I can.  In this case, make the sauce the night before.  It's literally as simple as dumping a bunch of stuff in a pot, bring it to a boil, and then let it simmer on low a while.  Then the next morning, before you head out for the day, take the FIVE MINUTES to slice up the onion (which you could also do ahead if you like), lay the ribs on top and then pour over the sauce.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment