Saturday, October 15, 2011

Waffles

It's been a stressful week.  Really stressful.  The kind where even though you know better than to Stress Eat, you get to that certain point where only comfort foods will do.

Yeah, that kind of a stressful week.

Now, when I think of comfort foods, some of the things that come to mind are pot roast, lasagna, great big vats of creamy soups, bread bread and more bread,....  But, I'm not in the mood for any of those things.  I don't want pot roast or lasagna or soup or bread.  I want something familiar, something from my childhood, something that makes me happy no matter what.

I want waffles.  THESE waffles.

Waffles
Recipe from, who else, my mom

2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs, separated
1 2/3 cups milk
6 tbsp. butter, melted
  
1.  In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt; set aside. 
The only downside to this recipe is the need for a lot of bowls.


2.  Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; Beat egg yolks; stir in milk and butter. Add flour mixture gradually, beating until smooth. Fold in whites. 
STIFF peaks


3.  Spoon into a preheated waffle iron and bake. 
Pardon me while I mop up the drool puddling in my lap.

 These waffles are so tasty, they're DANGEROUS.  Yup.  Because the eggs whites are beaten separately and then folded in so as not to lose that volume, you end up with a lighter, fluffier batter.  Lighter, fluffier batter makes for a lighter, fluffier waffle.  Lighter, fluffier waffles mean that I could, if I really wanted to, quite possibly eat an entire recipe's worth of these things. But that's ok, because it's been a stressful week.  And sometimes you need to eat a dozen or so waffles from your childhood to make the world a happier place.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment