Friday, May 27, 2011

Lentil Soup

If you didn't already know this, I live in Wisconsin.  I wasn't born and raised here but I've really come to love this state, which is known for several cool things.  Unfortunately, Springtime is not one of them.  It's getting to be a joke between me and my friends who live in warmer climates about how crazy our springs can be.  It's not unusual at all for temps to hit the mid-70's one day and literally the next day it's not even 50, gray, rainy, and cold.
Spicy soup with warm oatmeal bread

This constant up-and-down mood swing of Mother Nature can really drive me bonkers some days.  Other days, I'll have to confess that I secretly like that I can still pull out a few hot, comforting dishes before the oven becomes my enemy.

Like this one...

Lentil Soup
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes

1 lb sweet Italian sausage, 1/2 mild and 1/2 hot
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 (16 ounce) package dry lentils, rinsed
1 cup chopped carrot
8 cups water
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tbsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper

1.  Place sausage in a large pot. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Add onion and chopped garlic, and saute until tender and translucent. Stir in lentils, carrot, water, chicken broth and tomatoes.
Blending the hot and mild meats means we get a great medium heat throughout

2.  Season with garlic powder, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover, and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until lentils are tender.  Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
Yay spices!


This soup is hearty and with just enough spice to it that it will warm you even as the soup itself cools off.  And like any soup lover, I love to sop up the broth with some crusty bread.  This particular recipe makes a TON.  So it's a great option for a get together, or make the full recipe but put half in the freezer for a later dinner.  Gotta love those get-ahead options!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment